The Best Multi Ingredient Glucosamine Chondroitin Joint Supplement for Knee Pain
Joint pain is an issue that affects millions of adults. Specifically, arthritis, one of many forms of joint pain, affects over 54 million people in America. Sprains, strains, tears of tendons and ligaments, which occur in sports or accidents is another cause. There are many ways to treat this problem, one of which is the use of analgesic symptom relievers such as steroids, Nonsteroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs, opioid and so on. These do not actually promote healing. And for that reason, many people turn to nutritional supplements.
If you dig into the whole area of nutritional supplements, it gets more complicated, because there are basically two broad types of supplements.
- Single ingredient supplements
- Multiple ingredient supplements
We have covered a number of different types of ingredients in the post, The Best Joint Supplement Ingredients for Knee Pain Relief.
And elsewhere, we covered 6 popular nutritional supplements that make use of mainly one ingredient or a small number of ingredients.
In this article, we’ll take on a supplement worth your attention that is a more comprehensive formula, which is a combination vitamin and mineral, as well as herbs and naturally occurring joint health ingredients. This makes for a powerful multipronged approach to not just soothing pain but can actually help to rebuild the tissues, so that the underlying cause of discomfort heals. Unlike other knee and joint supplement which have any where from 1 to perhaps 6 ingredients, the product we’ll talk about, Joint Regen, has a total of 12 ingredients.
To find the best joint supplements for knees and other problem areas, we researched numerous products and reviews to find the best choice.
Our definitive answer: Joint Regen. To learn more, go here.
But first, let’s take a look at the problem.
Causes of Joint Pain
Joints connect your bones, and joint pain can occur anywhere throughout the body where bones connect. The areas most affected by joint pain are the knees, followed by the shoulders and hips.
Inflammation and degeneration of the joint tissue are what cause joint pain. Cartilage is the tissue that covers bones and allows bones to move freely. When cartilage in the joints breaks down, it causes the bones to rub together, which leads to increased swelling, pain, and stiffness. If joint pain persists for too long, it can become chronic. Besides cartilage, tendons, ligaments and other tissues allow bones to move freely.
Joints deteriorate for many reasons, but mainly due to injury or disease. Plus, extensive and repetitive physical exertion that puts pressure on the joints also can lead to joint pain over time. Athletes, fitness professionals, bodybuilders, and dancers are all susceptible to joint pain caused by injury or by overuse.
Joint pain also can occur simply as an effect of aging.
Numerous Maladies Cause Joint Pain
Various diseases can cause joint pain, including but not limited to:
- Bone disease
- Carpal tunnel
- Infectious arthritis (caused by bacteria, virus, or fungi)
- Osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
No matter the cause of joint pain, its harmful effects are undeniable. According to the CDC, the two kinds of joint pain are a major problem in the United States. Acute joint pain lasts for a short time period. Chronic joint pain lasts several weeks to months. Both benefit from treatment to ease the pain, so that people can get back to normal activity.
Taking Supplements to Ease Joint Pain
There are various options for relieving pain, but not all work for everyone afflicted by joint pain. Non prescription drugs provide mild temporary relief. However, acetaminophen can cause liver damage. And aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium, or NSAID’s also have side effects: Side Effects of Long Term NSAID Use: Pain Relief Comes with Risk
Prescription opioids provide stronger pain relief, but can cause other problems, such as constipation, or even addiction. The ravaging effects on the body over a long period of time, as well as the risk of addiction, are drawbacks to oral medications for joint pain relief.
Topical Treatments and Injections (Cortisone, Hyaluronic Acid, Platelet Rich Plasma, Placental Tissue Matrix)
Topical treatments and various kinds of injections provide joint pain relief. But these tend to be temporary solutions that don’t get to the root of the problem. Treatments applied directly on the skin often give temporary relief. Yet, they may not be effective for people suffering from severe joint pain.
Moreover, injections provide longer-lasting relief, but they are not permanent solutions. Injections can become an expensive form of treatment, depending on one’s health insurance plan. Plus, cortisone can cause a thinning of the tissues, if used too much.
Joint Supplements vs. Oral Medications, Topical Ointments, Injections
Joint supplements are a preferred basic method of easing joint pain. They avoid the risk and dependency on pharmaceuticals and can be a more effective and longer-lasting solution than topical creams and injections. Oral medications and topical creams all provide short-term solutions for pain management. But using these methods to treat joint pain is, as the saying goes, like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.
Supplements for knee cartilage repair may promote joint healing, which over time reduces pain. Joint supplements, combined with good diet and exercise strengthen joints and improve flexibility. They are a great way to treat knee pain before professional care, including surgery become necessary.
Many natural anti-inflammatory supplements are on the market. The problem, though, is that many of these supplements only target and repair a few components of the joints. Without a comprehensive solution that repairs all components of the joints, true recovery and pain relief remain out of reach.That’s where Joint Regen picks up the slack. With twelve ingredients total, Joint Regen is a glucosamine chondroitin supplement that provides comprehensive joint repair and pain relief. To see why, read our reviews of Joint Regen and other competitive products to see how Joint Regen really does what other supplements don’t do.
Joint Regen Review
Joint Regen is an innovative and revolutionary product from A.S. Research. Comprised of natural ingredients and additional cutting-edge compounds, Joint Regen is a supplement that combats joint pain by promoting joint repair and regeneration. With thirteen ingredients, Joint Regen has over twice the amount of heal-friendly ingredients compared to other competing supplements.
Daily Serving: 4 capsules / day–2 capsules twice a day
Serving Size: 2 capsules
- Glucosamine Sulfate HCL (1000mg)
- Chondroitin Sulfate (500 mg)
- Cetyl Myristoleate (300 mg)
- Methylsulfonylmethane (300 mg)
- Boswellia serrata Extract (90 mg)
- Boron (9 mg)
- Piperine (5mg)
- Vitamin C (400 mg)
- Zinc (600 mcg)
- Manganese (2 mg)
- Copper (400 mcg)
- Chromium (20 mcg)
Many of these ingredients are known to contribute to the repair, regeneration, and maintenance of joints. In addition, the Joint Regen capsules also contain essential vitamins and nutrients for added health benefits.
Treating different Aspects of Joint Healing
Each of the ingredients in Joint Regen contributes to a different part of the joint healing process, and as a whole, they offer total joint regeneration that gets to the root of joint pain.
- Glucosamine Sulfate HCL—A naturally occurring compound found in the human body. On its own, glucosamine is considered a building block for cartilage and is essential to preventing further breakdown. Glucosamine helps with water retention in cartilage and lubricates the joints. Sulfate is a key ingredient for the body to produce cartilage. Combined into a singular compound, Glucosamine sulfate HCL is a key component in the growth, repair, and continued maintenance of joint cartilage.
- Chondroitin Sulfate—Another naturally occurring ingredient found in the human body and other animal cartilage, this compound has anti-inflammatory properties, improves joint function, reduces pain, and slows the progression of joint degeneration. Research has shown that Chondroitin sulfate changes the structure of collagen and enhances its shock-absorbing effects. In addition, Chondroitin sulfate also furthers cartilaginous water retention and blocks the enzymes that lead to cartilage degeneration. When used in conjunction with Glucosamine sulfate, it is believed to reverse the loss of cartilage.
- Cetyl Myristoleate (CMO)—Although this is a chemical compound, it is the synthetic form of the naturally occurring Myristoleic acid. It lubricates both muscles and joints, which in turn reduces soreness. Moreover, it also purportedly can fight off infections and boost the immune system.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)—A natural compound found in plants, animals, and humans, MSM has important anti-inflammatory properties. People with various forms of arthritis, musculoskeletal pain, and other conditions often take MSM either in pill form or as a topical treatment. MSM also reduces pain and boosts immune functions.
- Boswellia Serrata extract—The active components of this extract contain anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. They also prevent cartilage loss.
- Boron—Considered an essential nutrient for bone and joint health, boron is necessary for the repair and regeneration of joint cartilage. It facilitates calcium absorption, which in turn leads to stronger bones and denser joint cartilage.
- Piperine—The active component in black pepper, piperine powder has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties. By reducing inflammation, piperine also reduces soreness around the joints.
- Vitamin C—A powerful antioxidant, this vitamin performs several essential functions that combat joint pains. Studies have shown it acts as an anti-inflammatory and protects against infection. Both inflammation and infection are strongly linked to rheumatoid arthritis. Plus, Vitamin C is crucial for the synthesis of collagen, which is the main component of joint tissue.
- Zinc—This mineral facilitates several processes in the body, including cell reproduction, wound healing, and tissue growth.
- Manganese—A mineral found to play an important part in many of the body’s chemical processes, a deficiency in manganese levels has been shown to lead to joint pain. Manganese is an anti-inflammatory, that along with glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate, is recommended for arthritis treatment.
- Copper—Although this mineral is essential for numerous bodily processes, it is not naturally produced by the body but must be ingested through certain foods or supplements. Copper is responsible for maintaining cell health in nearly all the body’s tissues, making it a significant factor in reducing joint pain and treating arthritis.
- Chromium—This mineral fulfills a few roles pertaining to energy production from foods, maintaining brain functions, and breaking down insulin. While it doesn’t contribute directly to joint repair, its role in breaking down insulin is important because people who have been diagnosed with diabetes are twice as likely to be inflicted by arthritis. Diabetes can lead to issues such as stiffness and pain in the joints, carpal tunnel, and other pains throughout the body. So controlling blood sugar levels can curb the painful effects of insulin imbalance.
Boswellia plant produces the aromatic resin called frankincense, and is anti inflammatory
- Anti-inflammatory and/or Pain Reliever = Chondroitin sulfate + MSM + Boswellia + piperine powder + Vitamin C + Manganese + Copper + Chromium = 1297.42 mg
- Joint Lubrication, Repair, and Regeneration = Glucosamine sulfate + CMO + boron + Vitamin C + Zinc = 2459.9 mg
As with any of the joint supplements, Joint Regen has both pros and cons that must be carefully considered.
- Packed with 12 ingredients for total joint repair and regeneration
- Outperforms competitors by supporting comprehensive joint health and repair
- Contains the “big 3” in combating joint pain: MSM, glucosamine sulfate, and chondroitin sulfate
- Use of cutting-edge compound CMO
- Natural supplements—no pharmaceuticals!
- Long-term joint pain relief
- Affordable at barely over 1 dollar/day
- May take 30-60 days to notice pain relief (although the boswellia and piperine relieve inflammation in a few days)
- Requires taking 4 capsules daily
Furthermore, unlike the many Glucosamine based supplements available, Joint Regen goes after the problem with both vitamin C which helps with your body’s collagen, and minerals which aid joint health. The inclusion of natural anti arthritic Cetyl Myristoleate (CMO) also boosts Joint Regen into a tier all its own. Although CMO was pioneered by Dr. Harry Diehl over forty years ago, the health benefits of cetyl myristoleate for humans were not actively researched until recent years. The reason Dr. Diehl’s discovery is so remarkable is that he found that Swiss mice cannot get arthritis because of the presence of Myristoleic acid in their blood.
Thus, the inclusion of CMO along with numerous other naturally occurring compounds and minerals makes Joint Regen one of the best natural anti-inflammatory and joint health supplements.
As People Age, Knee Pain Becomes an Issue:
Looking for answers, many seek a joint supplement. That raises the question of what ingredients make for a good nutritional product.
No, this is not about how to make sushi.
RICE is an acronym used by sports trainers and physical therapists. It stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. It is the first treatment recommended for sports injuries. RICE is also recommended for alleviating pain and discomfort caused by degenerative joint problems, such as osteoarthritis.
Although effective, there comes a time when an athlete or active adult is ready to be more proactive than reactive. So you’ve decided it’s time to do some research on the benefits of joint supplements.
That’s a good reason to continue reading.
Maybe you aren’t the one who needs a joint supplement. Are you researching joint supplements for an aging parent suffering from arthritis pain? Are you looking for ways to protect against injury for your young athlete?
You might already know about the different types of knee pain. You understand the causes and are familiar with treatment recommendations.
Perhaps you’ve tried other recommended treatments. These include physical therapy, assistive devices, over-the-counter pain relief, prescription medications, and viscosupplementation.
If you’re considering surgery as your next stop, there may be a helpful detour available.
What’s Next? Joint Supplements
They are organic, naturally occurring substances. Many joint supplement ingredients are produced by the body. It’s important to realize that joint supplements may not offer immediate pain relief. But effective joint supplements offer solutions. They provide long-term repair and possible regeneration of materials necessary for healthy joints.
If you or someone you care about suffers from joint-pain, consider a joint supplement. They are an excellent alternative to the side effects of harsh drugs. And they are worth considering before surgery.
Joint supplements, as they increase in popularity, are flooding the health market. The number of joint supplements available is staggering. Trying to decide which is right for your individual situation can cause frustration.
The key is to know which ingredients to look for.
Important note: like pharmaceutical drugs, joint supplements are not regulated by the FDA. Always consult your doctor before beginning a new treatment.
Your Guide to the Best Ingredients for Knee Joint Nutritional Supplements
The following list offers a sample of some of the more effective dietary nutrients found in joint supplements. These recommendations are based on reviewing the science and research. It is not all-inclusive but is a good start.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate
Glucosamine and chondroitin are joint supplements made from natural compounds produced in the body. They are both found in the fluid surrounding knee cartilage.
Glucosamine combined with Chondroitin sulfate offers hope for osteoarthritis sufferers with moderate-to-severe pain. Results from a double-blind study found the combination yielded “statistically significant pain relief.” (See study here)
Glucosamine may reduce cartilage breakdown and relieve osteoarthritis pain. Some research suggests chondroitin curbs cartilage deterioration in knee joints, but experts agree more data is needed. Chondroitin sulfate helps maintain water levels in cartilage.
Glucosamine can be harvested from the shells of shellfish. Chondroitin is extracted from the cartilage of animals such as cows and sharks.
500 mg three times daily for glucosamine; 400 mg three times a day is recommended for chondroitin
Cetyl myristoleate (CMO)
A natural fatty acid first isolated in the 1970s. Dr. Harry W. Diehl, Ph.D., a researcher at the National Institutes of Health, has been credited with discovering CMO. Cetyl myristoleate has proved successful in the treatment of dogs suffering from arthritis and joint pain.
In a recent double-blind trial, researchers concluded: “CMO is effective in alleviating knee pain in persons with mild degree arthritis of the knee joint, at an effective dose of 62.4%.”
CMO may act as a lubricant for joints and as an anti-inflammatory. (Note: combined with menthol as a topical blend, CMO shows promise. When applied to the skin, some patients report less pain and improved knee movement.)
Found in the cartilage of sperm whales, mice, and beavers. Cetylated fatty acids can be extracted from beef tallow in a highly purified form.
For osteoarthritis: 350 mg of cetylated fatty acids plus 50 mg of soy lecithin, and 75 mg of fish oil taken 6 times daily.
MSM graphic image
An organic, sulfur-based compound associated with the adrenal gland. Supports connective tissue maintenance and repair. Has also been shown to have antioxidant benefits.
A Mayo Clinic study reports positive outcomes for osteoarthritis patients given MSM. Patients showed “significant improvement” in range of motion for their knees. They also reported less pain and discomfort in their joints.
Researchers are hopeful that continued studies will confirm the antioxidant capabilities of MSM. This could improve treatments for osteoarthritis and other degenerative conditions in the elderly.
MSM stimulates the production of hyaluronic acid. This lubricating fluid is essential for protecting joints from wear and tear.
New research offers promising results for MSM. Daily doses may reduce muscle damage caused by vigorous exercise.
Interesting fact: the anti-inflammatory properties of MSM may offer relief for asthma sufferers. Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., discusses this, and other benefits in his book “The Miracle of MSM: The Natural Solution for Pain.”
One of the few joint supplements found in a variety of foods: fruits and vegetables (especially leafy greens), bone broth and raw milk. Trace amounts are found in tomatoes, corn, tea, and coffee.
A maximum of 3 g twice daily is suggested
Chinese medicine has utilized curcumin in treatments for centuries. It is the active ingredient that causes the bright orange-yellow color in turmeric.
Turmeric is a natural root used in cooking. It is an excellent choice for people seeking plant-based ingredients.
An article in the Journal of Medicinal Food evaluated research from several studies. It recommends the need for continued research. But, researchers agree that current studies do provide “compelling justification” for using curcumin. The studies recommended adding curcumin to joint supplements used in arthritis therapy.
Widely accepted as an anti-inflammatory for the relief of arthritis pain. Shown to be as effective as NSAIDs in reducing pain.
turmeric for knee pain
Curcumin is harvested from turmeric roots, which belongs to the ginger family. The root is dried and ground into a fine. The powder (now called turmeric) is available in the spice aisle at your local grocery store.
Adding turmeric to recipes is a common recommendation. It’s important to note that the body has difficulty absorbing the substance. Increase absorption by dissolving the powder in hot tea. You can also take it in capsule form in combination with other joint supplements.
500 mg three times daily is the recommendation
A fish-oil based fatty acid that is not just a miraculous new trend – it is essential to our health. This naturally occurring fat lubricates joints and delivers well documented anti-inflammatory benefits.
Look for Omega3 joint supplements containing Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) or Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA).
Choose brands with verified mercury-free labels.
(A not-so-well-known fact: Omega3s should be refrigerated).
Studies are abundant and comprehensive. The verdict is indisputable. Omega3-fatty acids have anti-inflammatory capabilities, relieve stiffness, and reduce tenderness in joints.
Experts agree Omega3s (popularized due to their benefits in heart and brain health) are highly effective. They are vital to breaking the cycle of inflammation cartilage. And their role in maintaining connective tissue health is promising.
This wonder fat is found in a wide variety of foods: salmon, sardines, tuna, walnuts, almonds, seeds, flax, raw soybeans, and leeks, to name a “few!”
Daily intake recommendations vary from 1,000 mg to 3,000 mg depending on the purpose.
This vitamin has recently become the topic of discussion in medical practices. There is strong evidence of widespread deficiency.
Exposure to sunlight is the best-known source for Vitamin D. Unfortunately, the amount gained by sun exposure does not reach recommended daily amounts.
There is a link between autoimmune conditions and Vitamin D deficiency. Disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and other degenerative joint disorders may develop.
Solid evidence from the American College of Rheumatology offers hope. They concluded that “achieving vitamin D sufficiency may prevent and/or retard cartilage loss in knee OA.”
Getting the recommended amount Vitamin D on a daily basis decreases knee joint pain. Increasing Vitamin D intake reduces risk factors associated with cartilage loss in the joints.
Created when skin is exposed to sunlight. Some fatty fish (salmon, sardines, tuna) contain the vitamin in its D3 form. Smaller amounts are found in mushrooms, eggs, organ meats, such as liver, and Vitamin D fortified milk.
Joint supplements containing 2,000 IU of vitamin D are recommended as a daily source.
good fruits for knee pain
A natural antioxidant, is there anything Vitamin C can’t do?
Medical practitioners recommended Vitamin C for treating a wide variety of conditions. Included on the list: chronic fatigue syndrome, Lyme disease, asthma, and cystic fibrosis.
It is also beneficial in the treatment of many arthritic conditions. This includes collagen depletion, arthritis, pain in the back due to swollen discs, and osteoporosis. Just to name a few.
Vitamin C also plays a crucial role in boosting the immune system.
Beware: Recent clinical studies suggest monitoring daily intake. Excessive amounts (more than 90 mg per day) may actually aggravate osteoarthritis.
The immune system boosting properties can play a key role in osteoarthritis pain relief. It also promotes collagen production, which is important in reversing arthritis conditions.
Also referred to as ascorbic acid, Vitamin C occurs naturally in fresh fruits (especially citrus). It is also available in vegetables such as broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts and red peppers.
90 mg per day for men and 75 mg per day for women
This Boswellia plant produces the aromatic resin called frankincense
Well-known as a source of frankincense, it is the main ingredient in many perfumes and incense. Used for its anti-inflammatory properties in ancient medicines dating back to Egyptian times.
Research shows promise for boswellia extract as a treatment for arthritis symptoms. A study published in the International Journal of Phytotherapy and Phytopharmacology showed “All patients receiving drug treatment reported a decrease in knee pain, increased knee flexion and increased walking distance.”
Reduces pain and swelling in inflamed joints. Curtails pain as well as prescription medications used for the same purpose. The results of using Boswellia extract oil as a pain reliever are impressive.
Extracted from the resin (and sometimes bark) of Boswellia. Boswellia are types of trees and shrubs found in of Northern Africa, Middle East, and India. There are about 25 known species of Boswellia.
Varies based on the concentration of boswellic acids. Follow package directions or consult your doctor for dose recommendations.
What About Minerals? Can They Benefit Your Joints?
Mineral rich foods are best. Sometimes a nutritional supplement can provided necessary minerals for health
Needless to say, minerals are a key component of our bodies, so it follows that if we don’t have enough minerals we could have adverse health consequences. First off, what is a mineral. We usually refer to minerals as chemical elements. Everybody knows that we need Oxygen, which is usually a gas, which we don’t even see, yet it is part of the air we breathe. Nitrogen, another gas and Oxygen make up most of the air we breathe, with small amounts of Carbon Dioxide, which is the result of things like wood, natural gas, oil, and so on, getting burned.
More common minerals are iron, which makes up not just so many materials we see around us, such as knives, car bodies, and bars used in reinforcing buildings. However, iron is a key component of our blood, because it attaches oxygen we breathe, and transports all over our body.
In the case of joints, though, there are some minerals that are not so well known, dosages are not necessarily certain, yet numerous studies show how important they are.
Here are some example of mineral you may not be aware of, that can help your joints.
- Boron can improve bone health
- Copper aids in making blood and helps with connective tissues
- Manganese helps joint health and may aid arthritis relief
- Magnesium works with calcium to improve bone health
- Zinc not only helps with immunity, but also supports cartilage
While a detailed discussion of the many different minerals needed for good health is beyond the scope of this article, it’s fair to say that the modern diet, which is generally not organic, can be deficient in various nutrients. I once knew a cattle farmer in Northern California, whose cows were mysteriously not up to par. A study of the soil showed there happened to be a lack of an essential mineral in the soil, which meant that the grass the cows ate was also lacking that nutrient. That’s just one anecdote, but the point is clear, supplementing with some minerals can help with joint health.
The Good News About Joint Pain
There is hope!
You are not condemned to the life of a couch potato, even if you suffer from joint pain in your knees. Many scientific studies prove that joint supplements promote knee health in many different ways.
The key is to find the one that works for you.
To help narrow down your search we reviewed ten of the most popular, reputable and high-quality joint supplements. Our top choice: Joint Regen from A.S. Research.
Check out our review of Joint Regen, plus the nine other joint supplements that made it into our top 10.
The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Nutrition and Healing
best supplements for knee pain
How to buy the best joint supplement? There are actually THOUSANDS of supplements for joints available. For example, they may be sold as private brands on their own website, or in retail shops like CVS, GNC, Costco, or a local supermarket or health food store. On the other hand, some are offered through online stores, or websites, the most notable nowadays being Amazon. Surveying so many is no small task. In fact, if you type in ‘Joint Supplements’ in Amazon, it says the number of pages is as follows: 1-48 of over 10,000 results for “joint supplements“
How to make sense of over 10,000 choices??? And that doesn’t count excellent products that are not even sold on Amazon. For a sneak preview of some of the supplements to be reviewed here, see this chart:
So these were the criteria used to choose what we consider the top 9:
Given these main categories, let’s dive in and take a closer look. First, let’s take a look at one of the most popular ingredients is supplements: Turmeric.
Turmeric–Spice as Medicine?
turmeric for knee pain
In comparison to other popular joint supplements, Turmeric, a spice used in curries, has soothing properties due to its active anti inflammatory factor Curcumin, that helps to reduce joint pain. Many joint supplements contain this wonderful herbal medicine and spice. So you might consider just buying some turmeric powder at your supermarket or natural foods store.
If you do that, it’s cheaper than the turmeric that’s made into capsules. On the other hand, if you don’t want to take the time to cook with turmeric, don’t like the taste or whatever, you can just buy capsules. You can read the reviews of them in this article. Turmeric in supplement form also may be stronger since they extract the active components.
If you like curries and spicy foods, you can purchase it in bulk at Asian markets at 1/10 of the price that it is sold for in grocery stores and supermarkets. But if you can’t find it in bulk locally, you can just go to Amazon and pick up a bag for a great price. Click on the image to check further.
Buy a pound of turmeric at a time, and it’ll last you up to a few months–and that’s using it every day. Try it as a smoothie! Go here for the recipe.
Oh—just one thing. If you use turmeric as a spice for its anti inflammatory and other health benefits, keep in mind that it does not absorb so well into your body, UNLESS you take some black pepper with it. So you can do the same thing to buy in bulk–much cheaper than buying in small quantities and it lasts a long time. Here is the best choice for bulk black pepper on Amazon:
6 Top Brands of Joint Supplement Capsules and Pills
BioSchwartz Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine
link text https://amzn.to/2WInMSo
Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine 1500mg. Highest Potency Available. Premium Pain Relief & Joint Support with 95% Standardized Curcuminoids. Non-GMO, Gluten Free Turmeric Capsules with Black Pepper
- HIGHEST POTENCY AVAILABLE TURMERIC PILLS ENHANCED WITH BIOPERINE: BioSchwartz Turmeric formula has 1500mg of Turmeric Curcumin with 95% Standardized Curcuminoids per serving (Highest Potency) and 10mg of BioPerine (black pepper, curcumin with black pepper) aiding in enhanced absorption and bio-availability.
- ALL NATURAL, NON-GMO, NO FILLERS, BINDERS OR PRESERVATIVES: Our professional grade Turmeric with BioPerine (curcumin with BioPerine) is a natural turmeric powder and has better absorption compared to common turmeric teas. Our Curcumin is also FREE Of soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, GMOs, peanuts, sweeteners, shellfish and sugar.
- DOCTOR FORMULATED & MADE IN USA: Our Turmeric extract is formulated by doctors and manufactured in the USA in an FDA-approved facility following strict GMP guidelines. Our Turmeric with BioPerine is third party tested to assure the highest quality and purity of each batch.
- HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Not only is our Tumeric Curcumin supplement potent, but we also use patented BioPerine (10mg per serving) to aid in increased absorption and bioavailability. Through industry research, we believe that Turmeric with black pepper is essential in good turmeric curcumin supplements. We only use pure and raw ingredients in all our formulas.
- 100% SATISFACTION - MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We want you to be fully satisfied! That's why we back every order with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee so you can shop with confidence. If you are not satisfied with our product, you are protected by our no questions asked, money-back guarantee.
BioSchwartz Brand Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine has just 3 ingredients:
- Turmeric Root (Curcuma Longa Root)
- Turmeric Extract
- Black Pepper Fruit (peppercorns) Extract, known as Bioperine
This earns Amazon’s Choice for ‘Turmeric Curcumin Supplement’. It has over 11,000 reviews and has a 4.6 star rating. About 80% are 5 star reviews, however if you go to the review area, the top ‘most helpful review’ is only a 1 Star Review. It points out that it has ‘only’ 150 mg of Turmeric Extract, and that the actual turmeric root doesn’t really work. This seems to be unfair. Many turmeric supplements have no extract, so having 150 mg should be considered a plus. The fact that the 80% of reviews are 5 star, and only 3% are 1 star says something. For some reason, the review area shows several 1 star reviews, and not so many 5 star reviews. This gives a false impression in this reviewer’s opinion.
Among its key advantages are:
- Extremely high quality control–Its suppliers and manufacturing is very careful and meticulous
- Tested to be free of heavy metals, which are toxic, and it’s also gluten and allergen free
- Made in the USA and tested for quality by third parties
Their disclaimer notes:
‘This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.’ You’ll find a similar disclaimer for all such supplements, per US government regulations.
- Very high ratings, high quality product
- Reasonably Priced with discounts available for bulk or subscription purchases
- For those who want a more comprehensive approach, other products have additional helpful ingredients
If you are looking for a basic, reasonably priced capsule form of turmeric with added extract and just the right amount of black pepper to allow your body to absorb it easily, then this is the product for you. Click here to visit the Schwartz Brand Turmeric with Bioperine page.
Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric & MSM
Glucosamine with Chondroitin Turmeric MSM Boswellia. Joint Pain Relief Supplement. Anti-Inflammatory, Antioxidant Pills for Your Back, Knees, Hands. Natural and Non-GMO 90 Capsules
- WHY CHOOSE US: Discomfort in your joints? Vimerson Health Glucosamine may help increase your joints lubrication to assist with a smoother joint functionability* with this perfectly combined daily multivitamin and mineral supplement; Our blend promotes joint health and comfort*, helps support cartilage and joint flexibility*, encourages overall health*, and helps increase joint mobility*
- VIMERSON HEALTH ULTRA FLEX JOINT SUPPORT is a complete dietary supplement for the joints; It may help build cartilage, boost joint mobility, increase joint flexibility, support joint structure, protect joint tissue and reduce inflammation;* Our product can ease the pain and discomforts that come with age, weight or athletic deterioration of the joints in the body*
- POWERFUL JOINT PAIN RELIEF: Our Joint Health Formula is designed for anyone who has joint pain, joint stress or experiences joint stiffness;* The powerful nutrients in our formula may help to maintain joint flexibility;* Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Turmeric, MSM, Boswellia, Quercetin, Methionine and Bromelain are compounds that promote greater joint health, pain relief, range of motion and comfort;* This effective Joint Complex works for Men Women and Seniors
- NATURAL & NON-GMO: Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, no hormones, no preservatives, no yeast, no soy, no sugar, no cholesterol, no artificial colors/flavors, no binders
- COMMON NAMES: There are many different ways people try and spell or pronounce Glucosamine and Chondroitin; Here are some common mis-spellings: glicosamina glucosamina glucosimine chondriton condroitan guclosamine glocosamin gucosamine glucoamine cosamine glucousimine glocosamina glucosamin gloucosamin glucosomine chondroitina condroitin condroitina chrondroitin condrotin chodroitin chondrotine chondroition condroiten chondoitin chondroitan condroiton chondritin chondroiton
Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric & MSM supplement includes turmeric, as well as has several other joint repair and pain relief components. See the list below.
- Glucosamine Sulfate (1500 mg)
- Boswellia Extract (200 mg)
- Chondroitin Sulfate (150 mg)
- Turmeric (150 mg)
- Quercetin (25 mg)—anti-inflammatory and pain reliever
- Methionine (25 mg)—to facilitate Sulphur production for cartilage building
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM, 25 mg)
- Bromelain (25 mg)
- Anti-inflammatory and/or Pain Reliever = boswellia + chondroitin sulfate + turmeric + quercetin + MSM + bromelain = 575 mg
- Joint Lubrication, Repair, and Regeneration = glucosamine sulfate + methionine = 1525 mg
- Supports joint repair and regeneration
- Provides pain relief
- Reduces inflammation
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are two of the most common joint repair supplements. The two together have shown indications of actually aiding the growth of cartilage in joints. For those whose cartilage is worn or nearly gone, that can be a big factor in these two naturally occurring chemicals’ favor. For more details on their activity, go here, for a discussion of Glucosamin/Chondroitin in The Best Joint Supplement Ingredients for Knee Pain Relief.
It has over 2000 reviews and a 4.4 star rating. You can see the most helpful review by clicking here. Plus, as of this writing, it ranks as the #1 Best Seller in Chondroitin & Glucosamine Combination Nutritional Supplements.
The formula comes from all natural ingredients, is non GMO, non dairy, non gluten, and is made in the USA, although some ingredients come from overseas.
- In addition to turmeric, as discussed above, it has a number of other joint friendly factors
- Less pain-relieving impact compared to other supplements
- Only 2 joint repairing ingredients
- Unlike BioSchwartz, it contains only turmeric root extract, but no turmeric root
The Vimerson Health glucosamine chondroitin with MSM supplement is commendable for covering the basics of joint health. The combination of glucosamine sulfate, boswellia, chondroitin sulfate, MSM, and bromelain means it has several anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and joint repairing and regenerating effects.
It provides 6 ingredients that are beneficial for joints, plus turmeric, the spice, and a small amount of bromelain, which comes from pineapple. It does not include vitamins and minerals beneficial for joint health. As for turmeric and bromelain, you can also buy them as foods, since both add flavor and joy to your cooking. However, since we don’t necessarily eat turmeric spice as well as pineapple every day, Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric and MSM is an excellent daily supplement to your regular (hopefully healthy, minimally junk food) diet.
We can say, of course, that a good diet will have all the vitamins and minerals we need. But we may need more than the ‘socalled’ Minimum Daily Requirement. Overall, a good product.
Omega 3 Oil (Fish and Vegetarian)
1. Wild Alaskan Fish Oil by Sports Research
Omega-3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil (1250mg per Capsule) with Triglyceride EPA & DHA | Heart, Brain & Joint Support | IFOS 5 Star Certified, Non-GMO & Gluten Free (180 Softgels)
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Don't be fooled by cheap, mixed sourced Fish Oils claiming high quality. Our Fish Oil is sourced from ONLY Wild Alaska Pollock with 1099mg (88%) Omega-3s per softgel! **See 3rd party IFOS testing in images.
- BENEFITS: Provides Essential Fatty Acids that may help support joint, skin and heart health.*
- PURE & CLEAN: We use AlaskOmega omega-3 fish oil sourced from only Wild Alaska Pollock from the Bering Sea. AlaskOmega omega-3 concentrates lead the market in oil freshness, with a maximum total oxidation (TOTOX) of 5!
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED: AlaskOmega omega-3 concentrates are certified Sustainable and Traceable by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), the first omega-3 concentrate to achieve this distinction. Encapsulated in 'Pescatarian Friendly' fish gelatin capsule.
- 90 DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If you're not satisfied with our Omega-3 fish oil, simply return your product within 90 days for a refund.^
Omega 3 Oil is one of the most important oils for health. It helps both joints, skin and cardiac health. Omega 3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil has a stunning 88% 4.8 star rating, and over 800 reviews. Its page points out that wild caught pollock from the frigid Bering Sea off the coast of Alaska give the fish their superior oil, which is then made into easy to swallow capsules. Plus, it has a rating of IFOS, the International Fish Oil Standard, of 5.
Given its high rating, and obvious popularity, what’s not to like? Well not much.
However, I had a couple of concerns that cause me to offer an alternative for you to check out. The Sports Research information points out that many fish oil supplements are made of mixed quality oils that may have limited benefit. That is true. So if you’re in the market for a good Omega 3 supplement from fish, you’re on the right track with the Sports Research Omega 3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil. Here are two things to carefully consider:
- While farmed fish has oil, studies show that they are fed so many antibiotics and dead fish meal, that they have a lot of toxins…not Good. That makes wild fish superior. However, wild fish populations are in decline, seriously. So if there is a way to get our Omega 3 without reducing the wild fish population, we should consider it.
- Second is an issue that nobody wants to talk about: Radiation.
In 2011, the nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan melted down spewing tons of highly radioactive material into the Pacific Ocean. There are conflicting studies, ranging from ‘the danger has passed’ fish is perfectly safe to eat’, to ‘there is a mass die-off of fish and other animals who eat fish, in the wake of mass radiation poisoning. So who’s right? Here are a couple of links, so if you want to check this issue out, and decide for yourself.
So what is the alternative? Flaxseed oil. Here is a Harvard University study regarding plant based versus fish based Omega 3 oil. If you decide that you want to include Omega 3’s into your supplement list, then the best choice would probably be Naturwise,
2. NatureWise Organic Flaxseed Oil
NatureWise Organic Flaxseed Oil Max 720mg ALA | Highest Potency Flax Oil Omega 3 for Cardiovascular, Brain, Immune Support & Healthy Hair, Skin, Nails | Gluten Free Non-GMO [8 Month - 240 Softgels]
- HIGHEST POTENCY ALA: NatureWise Organic Flaxseed Oil delivers 720 mg ALA Omega-3 essential fatty acids per softgel, the highest concentration of ALA in any flaxseed oil supplements.
- PLANT-BASED ALTERNATIVE TO FISH OILS: Flaxseed oil offers a cleaner, more sustainable, plant-based source of omega-3 essential fatty acids compared to fish oil supplements.
- PURE, ORGANIC, & COLD-PRESSED: Our pure flaxseed oil is carefully extracted from organic, non-GMO flax seeds without the use of hexane or added heat, helping to preserve the delicate structure of the omega-3s.
- ESSENTIAL HEALTH BENEFITS: Science confirms the importance of omega-3s in a healthy diet, with essential benefits for brain health, heart health, immune support, and healthy hair, skin and nails.*
- ONLY THE BEST INGREDIENTS: Our flaxseed oil supplements are made from 100% natural, organic, non-GMO ingredients with no artificial additives, fillers or binders and are third party tested for purity and quality.
As you can see, Naturwise Organic Flaxseed Oil also has a very high rating and lots of reviews, so it’s a good bet for your hard earned money. The benefits are similar to Fish Oil Omega 3 oil, however, they’re not quite the same. As this study from University Health News points out:
<<“..no human studies have shown that intake of vegetarian omega-3 sources (ALA) plus certain vitamins, like vitamin B6, leads to optimal levels of EPA and DHA inside the body’s cells and tissues. Therefore, direct dietary intake of omega-3 fats rich in EPA and DHA through food or supplements is the most beneficial.”>>
Nevertheless, given the concerns related to contamination in wild fish and their declining populations, and the rising interest in vegetarian diets, I felt it’s a good idea to feature a good vegetarian alternative. What do you think? One last point is that the Harvard Study didn’t mention joint health as a factor in Omega 3. To put that doubt to rest, see this article in Web MD: https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/arthritis-guide “Supplements for Arthritis and Joint Pain”
- Good quality fish oil clearly shows positive out comes for heart, and joint health
- Flaxseed may also have good effects because it does contain Omega 3.
- Flaxseed is organic and vegetarian, so it has no discernible risks
- There is some possibility of contamination of ocean based fish oils
- Fish populations are declining
- Flaxseed does not seem to be as efficient as fish oil in delivering the right DHA and EPA to your body
Well, I suppose if you have read this far, you expect me to tell you what to do and what to buy, if you’re interested in Omega 3’s as an anti inflammatory for your joint pain. What I can say is that here are all the facts laid out for you. Both fish based and vegetarian based Omega 3s, the Wild Alaskan Fish Oil and the Naturewise Flaxseed Oils are at the top of their class. So it’s a judgment call on your part which to choose.
Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules (Types I,II,III,V,X) - Anti-Aging Formula, Healthy Skin & Hair, Strong Joints, Bones & Nails - Hydrolyzed Protein Supplement for Women and Men - 30 Day Supply
- ALL-IN-ONE BLEND OF COLLAGEN PEPTIDES: Our ALL-IN-ONE proprietary collagen protein blend means this is the ONLY collagen supplement you will need to slow down aging! Where other products only contain one or two types of collagen, our Collagen Complex contains ALL 5 Types of Collagen (Type I, II, III, V, X) that helps to maintain a young, strong, and healthy body.
- LOOK RADIANT & REJUVENATED: Want to bring back that youthful glow to your hair and skin? Tired of using countless creams and lotions that never seem to work? Want to naturally look and feel years younger? Our Collagen Complex is your secret weapon! With our premium, non-GMO collagen blend, you will love the way it reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and stretch marks. Look amazing, feel amazing!
- STRENGTHEN JOINTS & BONES: Feeling aches and pains as you get older is "normal", but we believe it doesn't have to be! Give your body the protein it needs so you can be on-the-go and continue living an amazing life without worry. Supplementing with Collagen will help protect your bones and the cartilage in your joints - there's NO LIMIT to what you can do when you are free to move!
- WAIT...IT CAN DO THAT?! Did you know that collagen benefits your whole body? That's because it is the most abundant protein in our bodies, so we need a lot of it! Not only is collagen incredible for your hair, skin, nails, bones, and joints - it is amazing for overall heart health, promotes restful sleep, boosts mood, and reduces stress & anxiety. Collagen also improves digestion and helps build stronger leaner muscles.
- PURE QUALITY, TOTAL SATISFACTION: At Purely Optimal, we stand behind our product's safety and quality. We fully understand the uncertainty of trying new supplements, and we are confident that you will love our product. If you're not satisfied with the product for any reason, let us know and we'll make it right! Try it, Risk Free!
Collagen is the most common protein in our body, but over time as we age, it diminishes. That is most likely one of the factors in wrinkles, sore joints, and other health issues, such as muscle weakening, and even heart health. By supplying extra collagen, we can improve our knee health, as well as the other parts of our body. This particular product has very high rank of 4.8 stars, 84% 5 star and 14% 4 star. with only 1% 1 star or 3 star. Pretty compelling don’t you think?
Here are the main features of Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
- Derived from 5 kinds of collagen–Grass Fed Beef, Chicken, Fish, Eggshell Membrane (the inner ‘skin’ inside the eggshell) and Bird Sternum (the sternum is the ‘chest bone’ at the base of your ribs in the middle of your chest.
- It contains 1500 mg of multi collagen as noted from the above sources
- Promotes Muscle Recovery and Joint and Bone Health
- Other health benefits to your gut, skin, even hair and nails
- Made in the USA from non GMO ingredients
- Independently tested
As noted, this Collagen supplement has over 800 reviews, some fairly extensive. Click on this link to see the review considered the most helpful.
- Reasonably priced
- Discounts for both multiple purchases or for subscription payments
- All the above benefits noted along with its non GMO purity
- If you are vegetarian, sorry this product is not for you. All its ingredients are animal based
- Some users have reported that if you take too much it causes skin outbreaks
Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules are one of the most popular collagen supplements, and scientific research does indicate that having enough collagen can help our overall health. To see the full details, click here.
To go to the customer reviews section, click here.
Zenwise: Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin – Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid
Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin - Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra Strength Relief - Natural Health & Mobility Support for Pain, Aches & Soreness - 180 Tablets
- EXTRA STRENGTH JOINT CARE - Zenwise Health Joint Support is an advanced joint supplement that contains a unique blend of ingredients that may aid men and women with joint related aches and discomfort. Label designs may vary.
- GLUCOSAMINE, CHONDROITIN & MSM - This supplement contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin, which may support joints in order to promote healthy cartilage and tissue, while MSM can supports healthy collagen for supreme joint support.
- FEATURES TURMERIC CURCUMIN - This complex also contains 100mg of Curcumin (Curcuma longa), a form of Turmeric that supplements help hips and joints feel flexible to promote an active lifestyle.
- MOBILITY SUPPORT - This hip and joint formula features Hyaluronic Acid, a natural ingredient that supports the joints to promote mobility and comfort.
- FEEL ACTIVE & COMFORTABLE - Joint Support is great to help with painful stiffness, discomfort, and poor range of motion. With a specialized Glucosamine Chondroitin complex per serving, you can move easily and comfortably again.
Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin – Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid by Zenwise is similar to some of the products we reviewed earlier. It is very similar to the Vimerson supplement, with an important difference. Unlike the other products reviewed, Zenwise includes Hyaluronic Acid and the herb, Bosellia. Here is a list of ingredients:
- Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM all of which support joint health, cartilage and collagen
- Curcumin from Turmeric
- Boswellia, an anti inflammatory herb, also known as Frankincense
- Hyaluronic Acid, which is a naturally occurring ingredient that supports joints and flexibility
Here is why Hyaluronic Acid may help with your joint issues, according to the website Healthline.com:
- Lubricates joints, which helps relieve knee pain
- Keeps bones strong
- Speeds healing wounds
- Improves skin health
- Relieves symptoms of Acid Reflux
- Reduces “dry eye”, which sometimes affects older adults
- May prevent bladder pain in older women
Of course, for our purposes, the first two factors, maintaining joints and bones are top priorities, but the other 5 benefits can only be bonuses. It’s also extremely safe to use. The only cautionary issues are that it may not be advisable for pregnant women or people who have or have had cancer. The reason why Zenwise is included in this review is because it has the other well regarded ingredients we’ve covered as well as including hyaluronic acid.
Zenwise also has the Indian Herb, Boswellia, otherwise known as Frankincense. The US government has issued an informational article pointing out its anti inflammatory properties.
From a customer standpoint, Zenwise Joint Supplement has over 2000 reviews, 90% either 4 or 5 star and has been around for several years, so it has an good reputation. Here is link to a video review
- The most common joint support ingredients, Glucosamin, Chondroitin and MSM
- Two addition ingredients that help, hyaluronic acid and boswellia
- Fine reputation, been around several years. 4.5 star rank
- Reasonably priced
- Several people have complained that these are pills are more difficult to swallow than capsules
- What’s more, “the pills are huge” according to some and virtually impossible to swallow
- They contain binders, so they’re not exactly purely ingredients
- Like other products with Glucosamine, these contain shell fish. Some people maybe allergic to this.
Zenwise has been around for quite awhile. It combines ingredients of different types all in one pill. The pills may be large for some people, however, its 4.5 star rating indicates that it’s helped a lot of people, and for a fair price. For full details on Zenwise, go here.
Conclusion–The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Pain Sold on Amazon
As you can see, there are a number of approaches to knee and joint health.
- The most common herbal remedy is Turmeric and its extracts
- The combination of Glucosamin and Chondroitin is also popular
- The additional component MSM is not found in all supplements but is certainly useful
- Omega 3 oil acts differently from the above types of ingredients, yet has a very solid following
- Likewise, collagen is such a common protein in the body, that supplementing for it has gotten people good results
- Additional natural chemicals such as Hyaluronic Acid, or the Indian herb, Boswellia, are also fairly common for their benefits
So consider this an overview of what is available among the most widely used knee and joint supplements. We have also included links to other articles on this site, which talk about ingredients in joint pain relief products, as well as links to outside sources. That way, we have made it easier for you to either make a decision to buy what you need, or to research further. We hope that this review is helpful for you. Be sure to click on any of the links to check out individual products or product reviews.
In addition, if you just want to browse for yourself, you can click here to take you to the page for joint supplements in general.
Thanks for reading!
Many Choices of Knee Sleeves, Braces and Supports
Take a look at this chart, straight out of the research tool, Google Trends. It shows that, since 2004, the number of searches regarding knee pain has increased by 4X. and tripled in the past 10 years! People are looking for solutions to their knee pain. And one simple solution, that requires no drugs or surgery, is the use of knee braces.
Since 2009, searches went up about 2 1/2 times. We’ll get deep into this topic in this extended post, but if you want to cut to the chase, see the chart of 7 of the most popular knee braces sold on Amazon. You can click on any of these to see their listing, or read on for further details and analysis. Enjoy!
Chart showing rise in searches for knee pain and knee brace over the past 10 years. Source: Google Trends
UFlex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve Support for Running, Jogging, Sports - Brace for Joint Pain...
Go to Amazon
Knee Sleeves (1 Pair) Support & Compression for Weightlifting, Powerlifting & CrossFit - 7mm...
Go to Amazon
EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector - Relieves Patella Tendonitis - Jumpers Knee Mensicus Tear - ACL...
Go to Amazon
For-Knees Magnetic Knee Compression Brace Support Sleeve -Black Natural Soft Cotton - Latex Elastic...
Go to Amazon
Hinged Knee Brace: Shock Doctor Maximum Support Compression Knee Brace - For ACL/PCL Injuries,...
Go to Amazon
McDavid Bio-Logix Knee Brace, Black, Right, Medium
Go to Amazon
Bauerfeind - GenuTrain - Knee Support Brace - Targeted Support for Pain Relief and Stabilization of...
Go to Amazon
Knee Braces vs Knee Supports vs Knee Sleeves
“What Knee Brace Should I Buy?” If you are looking for good knee support reviews, you’ve come to the right place. You see, every year, millions of people suffer from knee-related issues. Many of these individuals turn to orthosis supports (an external device fitted to your body) for pain relief. They go by different names, such as knee braces, knee sleeve, knee support, knee wraps.
They consist of elastic materials, straps, foam, metal, and plastic, latex, nylon cotton, to name a few. So it’s easy to get confused if you’re in the market for something to take care of your knee, especially since the terms are often used interchangeably.
But first, let’s have a look at why people would use one in the first place.
A little background
Speaking personally, I have been physically active for most of my life, but have at certain periods of my life, also been sedentary, having office jobs where I’d be sitting at a desk a lot. My main physical activities have been running, yoga, meditation crosslegged, and more recently, weight training. I was on a long distance bus trip in 1984, and was pretty stiff apparently, because the bus lurched, I felt a nasty twinge, and my knee started swelling up, was pretty painful. Turned out, the meniscus had torn and flipped over, creating serious imbalance in the joint.
I got arthroscopic surgery, where the surgeon uses a tiny camera and remote scalpel. He cut off the 1/4 that split, leaving me with at least some meniscus, which is the ‘little pillow’, semi soft tissue that acts like a shock absorber. There is additional semi soft tissue called cartilage, which covers the bones. That adds some additional protection, and allows the bones in the joint to slide over each other.
Otherwise, movement is painful and joints are stiff. Stress and age over time cause both cartilage and meniscus to wear out. In 2014, I tore the meniscus again, got more cut out, and the cartilage is pretty much worn away. I got a second operation. The photos you see below are from that surgery.
A Bad Luck Knee?
Then, in December 2016, I was riding my bike and somebody turning on my street as I was crossing the intersection rode right into the same knee! They took me to the hospital, nothing broken but I was hobbling around on crutches. Interestingly, an orthopedist who examined me said he thought it was a strained ACL, the ligament that is inside the knee. A physical therapist, though, said it was just severe muscle sprain. Whatever. I was darn lucky. My knee is often sore, but fortunately, I can still do most of the things I like to do, though I avoid high impact activities like running and jumping.
Ligaments and Tendons
Interior of the knee, normal vs torn meniscus
In addition, there are other tissues, such as ACL and MCL ligaments and tendons, which connect the bones to each other, and along with muscle result in our moving all of our limbs, fingers, feet and so on. They can all break down or simply break.
Purposes for Using Knee Orthotics
- So the first purpose of knee braces, sleeves, supports, and so on is to protect the knees from stress, that is, prevention of wear and tear.
- The second main purpose is to deal with soreness or pain. This can be the result of either short term minor injury, such as sprains, strains, or overuse.
- The third reason why you may be reading this is because you got injured, and are looking for solutions to the problem. However, serious illness or injury are beyond the scope of this article. Consultation with a medical professional–in fact more than one, such as a orthopedist, physical therapist, chiropractor or alternative medical practitioner is advisable. The knee devices we will cover here are for general use. Please do not consider them to be ‘medical devices’, and no medical advise is intended here.
All too often, knee pain is the result of long term wear and tear. The classic image is the race horse, who is lame and put out to pasture. All those years of running and training wore out the ‘old grey mare’, so to speak.
See the frayed cartilage. A sign of worn out knees
Knee Brace Benefits
There are many reasons why people feel knee pain. Some suffer from structural knee issues, arthritis or athletic injuries. Knee braces may improve several of these conditions. They allow the patient to remain active without exerting too much pressure on the knee.
They also assist in keeping ligaments and muscles in better condition during and post injury. There are many knee braces on the shelves so it is beneficial for the user to define their needs before continuing the search. This review will cover 7 of the best knee braces available.
But first, a bit of context
In the ‘old days’, if you had a knee problem, you’d get a long roll of elastic bandage and wrap it around you knee. Recently though, with the introduction of modern materials and research, there are literally thousands of knee braces available, many of them quite good. A recent check of a search for ‘knee braces’ at the Amazon USA site, showed 79 THOUSAND knee braces to choose from. So this review is my ‘humble effort’ to shed some light on this topic, which you the reader can see I have a personal stake in.
After all, I have a knee condition. We are going to look at 7 knee braces. Choose any one of them and you won’t go wrong. The first 4 are for general use and are used by people who exercise. They also are useful for people with moderate knee discomfort, for the reasons stated above. The last three are more expensive and, perhaps more suitable for more serious situations. For the details, read on.
Ultra Flex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve Support
UFlex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve Support for Running, Jogging, Sports - Brace for Joint Pain Relief, Arthritis and Injury Recovery - Single Wrap Size Large
- BENEFITS: Reduces inflammation/swelling,soreness,stiffness, has heating effect for muscular recovery
- SPORTS: Suitable for all sports activities that involve a great amount of stress on the joints like: running, basketball, soccer, football, golf, cycling, tennis, hiking, volleyball, skiing and much more
- PAIN RELIEF: Aid in recovery, runners & jumpers knee, arthritis, tendonitis
- ANTI-SLIP SILICONE: stable compression during gym time,squats,weightlifting, yoga,fitness
- CONSULT OUR SIZE CHART: choose the best knee brace & support suitable for women, men and kids.
The Ultra Flex Athletics Knee Compression Sleeve Support is a recommended sleeve if you are handling sports related issues. For example, it’s a helpful aid if you need extra support during physical activities such as tennis, cycling, football, soccer, skiing, volleyball or golf.
Likewise, this sleeve would be a good choice if you have swelling, inflammation, stiffness, and soreness. It can also help with jumper’s knee, runner recovery, tendonitis and general muscle recovery. The inclusion of anti-slip silicon makes it perfect for providing stable compression for daily activities, physical therapy, and even gym activities. Some wraps and braces have a tendency to slip, however, the non slip silicon band prevents that in most cases.
In addition to the healing and recovery aspect, it helps protect and preserve your joints during activities such as strength training.
This product has been top rated by many customers, but for a wider range of attributes than expected. Reading the Reviews can help you get a better idea of whether it’s useful or not, however, with its current (subject to change) 4.6 star rating, this is a good choice for the average person. Of course, please note that the Ultraflex support comes in different size, so be sure to measure your knee before ordering. See the listing for details.
- The Ultra Flex Knee Sleeve is under $20 as well making it a budget friendly choice.
- Comes in a variety of sizes to ensure the best fit.
- This sleeve comes in 4 different sizes, which makes it perfect for athletes to match up with their teams and favorite sports gear.
- The double anti-slip silicon helps create an efficient grip so that no activity can knock it down.
- Combines 3D technology with quality materials to create a product that provides support and pain relief.
- Lightweight and is made of a blend of Lycra and Nylon, which makes it perfect for 24-hour comfort.
- Provides preventative care if the user is searching for light physical assistance.
- This sleeve provides moderate support, so it is not recommended for people that require assistance for heavier activity such as intense weight lifting.
- The Ultra Flex is meant for mild to moderate knee issues, rather than more serious problems. If in doubt, consult a doctor and measure properly before choosing this type of support.
The Ultra Flex sleeve‘s design is eye catching, and more important is that it gives moderate support for healing or protection from injury while allowing good flexibility. Plus, it’s affordable. For more information or to purchase, go here.
Nordic Lifting Knee Sleeves Support & Compression for Weightlifting
If you are into powerlifting, weightlifting and Crossfit, and are looking for compression and support, then the Nordic Lifting Knee Sleeves may be just what you’re looking for.
Both men and women can use this sleeve, which comes in 6 sizes and is sold as a pair. It has as of this writing well over 2000 reviews and has a 4.5 star rating. Here are its basic characteristics:
- 100% Neoprene
- Fully machine washable
- Well suited for squatting exercises
- Good for both protection and for alleviating pain
- Heavy workouts will not damage it
- Good for both men and women
The Nordic Lifting Knee Support has maintained popularity with customers. One of which is its ability to sustain support throughout high impact work, but there are much more.
- These sleeves are created with premium materials for durability.
- They are composed of 7-millimeter Neoprene and reinforced stitching for support.
- An ergonomic design creates a perfect fit which maximizes performance during play.
- It comes in a wide range of sizing to cover many shapes and sizes.
- It is designed to maximize all kinds of physical performance.
- This device is great for rehabilitative work as well as preventative and supportive measures to help reduce future possible issues.
- These sleeves help users remain active during healing to avoid static muscle pain. This is crucial to encourage proper healing.
- This is a heavy-duty support system for people that engage in high stress activities, especially power squats. So it may not be suitable for other actvities.
- A few people noted that the stitching came apart, rendering them useless
Verdict The Nordic Lifting Knee Sleeve is a great option for those who participate in weightlifting or CrossFit workouts.
This material is thick and may not be comfortable for people that do not need this level of support. Always consult a professional when deciding on rehabilitation options. The price, though, buys you a pair instead of just a single brace. For more information or to purchase, go here.
EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector
EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector - Relieves Patella Tendonitis - Jumpers Knee Mensicus Tear - ACL Lateral & Medial Ligament Sprains Comfort Design True Non-Slip FIT for Arthritis - Sport - Running
- The unique 4-way compression system 'hugs' your knee from every angle giving lateral and medial support and a sense of real stability for weak knees. Two dedicated patella straps give patella tendon and jumpers knee pain relief and helps stabilize the knee cap
- CONFIDENCE & IMPROVED MOBILITY - The special design keeps the knee brace in place meaning less irritaion less adjusting and real 'functional support throughout the day. ** fitting max calf size 16-18 inches MAX UPPER THIGH 20 INCHES (measure 3" above knee) **
- FOR RUNNING & SPORT - STAYS IN PLACE BETTER - Typical generic knee braces have only 2 or 3 straps they often move and slip almost in minutes making them very annoying and almost useless for sport or to exercise with Enjoy added comfort and LESS SLIPPING with the 4 point strap system ** fitting max calf size 16-18 inches MAX UPPER THIGH 20 INCHES (measure 3" above knee) **
- ALL DAY COMFORT AND PAIN RELIEF - Our brand mission is 'different by design' we designed this from the ground up proud to have over 1100 positive reviews form helping you to get up stair cases, playing a game of tennis and even helping you complete a run with less pain. Read the comprehensive reviews and see how this knee brace may be right for you ** fitting max calf size 16-18 inches MAX UPPER THIGH 20 INCHES (measure 3" above knee) **
- LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK - What we know based on over 2 years of sales and thousands of happy customers is that if you fit within the size guide, we are confident this is the best support you will get for your knee. If you feel it's not for you contact us directly and we will look after you no matter what. Join thousands of happy customers that have seen the EX-701 improve their quality of life - fitting: max calf size 16-18 inches MAX UPPER THIGH 20 INCHES (measure 3" above knee)
Unlike closed pain-relieving knee braces, the EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector is an open Patella wrap that helps to protect the joint but offer a specific range of motion. It is a less bulky solution to knee support and is beneficial in many ways. It has earned a high rating amongst customers and has left a long list of positive testimonies behind. It has over 1000 reviews.
Most of the open patella knee wraps you see have either 2 or 3 straps to hold it in place. The fact is, these types of wraps tend to slip, which can be annoying. So, having 4 straps is a definite plus. This product is admittedly more expensive than the cheaper, 2 and 3 strap wraps, but it is worth it, just because it performs better. Two dedicated patella straps give the patella tendon extra support, so that relieves pain in the front of the knee, and gives jumpers knee pain relief and helps to stabilize the knee cap.
Be sure, if you are considering ordering, to measure your knee, since there are specific limits on leg size for this knee brace wrap. The features of this brace are as follows:
- Relieves Patella Tendonitis
- Jumpers Knee Mensicus Tear –
- ACL Lateral & Medial Ligament Sprains
- Comfort Design
- True Non-Slip FIT
- Arthritis – Sport – Running
- This device was designed to minimize pain provide as much support as possible.
- It specifically targets to those who deal with meniscus or ACL issues, jumper’s knee and designed with long hour wear and tear in mind.
- The whole device is only composed of quality materials to ensure durability.
- It moves fluidly rather than stiffly. This allows better motion range during healing and physical activity.
- It is a lighter knee brace in weight, which makes it better for frequent motion.
- Side stabilizers also help protect the knee from twisting and sprains
- This is a small issue but machine washing will mess this product up, so only hand wash
- A few people have questioned how long the product lasts
- Some say that two of the straps are too short, so that it is not as stable as they’d like
This product is inexpensive (as of this writing), relative to some of the more expensive, complex stabilizer wrap knee braces. It has a respectable 4.3 star rating. The Exous Knee Wrap Brace is a quality way to reduce pain, help heal meniscus and ACL issues, and get extra support. For more information or to purchase, go here.
For-Knees Magnetic Knee Compression Sleeve
For-Knees Magnetic Knee Compression Brace Support Sleeve -Black Natural Soft Cotton - Latex Elastic Fabric with Magnets. for Sports, Sprains Strains Arthritis Sore Knees Recovery
- MAGNETIC KNEE SUPPORT WITH COMPRESSION AND INFRARED WARMTH- Our knee sleeves have tourmaline (a semi precious mineral) fibers woven into them that reflect back body heat as Far Infrared Rays (FIRs) to help relieve joint pain and arthritis, reduce muscle pain
- STRONG SUPPORT WITH HIGH COMPRESSION - Our magnetic knee supports are a blend of breathable, stretchable cotton yarn, latex yarn, and tourmaline fiber for maximum comfort, with a thick weave which 'hugs your knee".
- IDEAL FOR ATHLETES AND THOSE WITH KNEE PAIN - Whether you enjoy outdoor activities (e.g. hiking / walking), sports (e.g. basketball, golf, jogging, tennis), or indoor activities (e.g. yoga), or you have painful knees (e.g. because of arthritis, you are awaiting meniscus tear treatment, or recently had surgery)
- EASY TO MAINTAIN. To clean your knee braces, wash them by hand in cool water, using mild a soap, then hang to dry (but do not expose to heat).
- INCLUDES 13 STRATEGICALLY POSITIONED SUPERMAGNETS - There are 13 super magnets with a rating of 1,000 - 1,200 Gauss (0.1 - 0.12 Tesla), strategically positioned around our knee brace. Chinese medicine says magnets can help relieve pain and aid healing.
For-Knees has produced a knee brace with an innovative design that uses both natural materials such as cotton and latex based yarn, as well as state of the art technology that can help relieve discomfort and pain that stem from injury, normal wear and tear, as well as basic protection during exercise, or simply for those who stand on their feet all day.
Knee Care Product Price Increases
Many medical aid products have been skyrocketing in price, making it difficult for people to find an effective brace within their price range. This brace, however, stays moderately priced, given the expensive hi-tech materials used to make it. Other reasons this brace has been popular are as follows:
- Natural cotton and latex woven yarn, which gives it a comfortable feeling on the skin, unlike most products that are made of synthetic fabric. Some eco friendly customers also like the fact that it minimizes chemical based materials
- Supermagnets–traditional medicine, both Western as well as Oriental, believe that magnets aid in healing because of the magnetic field which they believe has a positive effect. These are placed at acupuncture points, which are ‘energy meridians’ in the body’s ‘electrical system’.
- Tourmaline, a semi precious mineral used in making jewelry, is benefiting from modern “nanochemistry”, which activates it so that it acts like a luminous dial watch. Luminous dials collect and store visible light, and are then visible in the dark. Similarly, the activated tourmaline captures and stores body heat, the socalled ‘far infrared’ rays (think of a red hot piece of iron, where you can ‘see the heat’) and reflects it back to warm the joint. First seen in Asian countries like Japan and China, it is becoming more well known and appreciated in the West
- A non slip silicon band at the top end minimizes slipping, a common annoyance with people who use knee sleeves
So the cotton feels more natural. The magnets aid healing (though there is disagreement on this point.) The tourmaline allows natural body heat to become far Infrared warmth. This natural warmth helps to relieve joint pain, reduce arthritic pain, muscle pain and even counteract stiffness and spasms. In some cases, it has even been successful in counteracting Raynaud’s Syndrome which is a painful disease that affects the arteries.
For maximum breathability, cotton yarn is also used for most of the brace’s structure. Further, latex yarn increases its flexibility, stretch capability and compression. This ensures a better range of motion. Many knee braces have a stiffer composition, which can lead to further damage depending on the injury.
Use of Supermagnets
These 13 “Supermagnets” were developed in 1984, and have found many uses, because they are much stronger in relation to their size and weight than normal magnets. Composed of neodymium, iron, and boron, these rate around 1,000-1,200 Gauss, this unique alloy makes for more efficient magnets than traditional all iron magnets. Few joint related products use magnets, and some manufacturers skimp on the strength of the magnets to reduce the cost. You can test these magnets by turning the sleeve inside out. Place a spoon or similar object containing iron near the magnet. You’ll feel a slight pull from the tiny magnets, which presumably have an effect on your red blood cells, which carry the element, iron.
While the idea of magnetic compression knee sleeves is relatively new, it seems to be catching on. A recent reviewer noted that her MD had tried it and it worked for her, so she recommended it to the customer, who just gave it a 5 star review.
- This brand provides both support and compression.
- Unlike the other brands featured here, For-Knees uses cotton and latex, which are natural ingredients as the basis of its unique woven material.
- Breathable material improves hygiene and general comfort, especially for users that are in motion and on the go.
- The brace has a clearly marked kneecap area so that the user can best place it. Many braces are a solid color, which can lead to misplacement, leading to further injury.
- Material is reinforced from top to bottom to help support the comfortable fit. Non slip silicon bands prevent slipping.
- Tourmaline fiber inclusion does not take away from comfort but rather aids it.
- Magnets placed at acupuncture points promote and support healthy circulation.
- It has a thick and tight weave, plus the Tourmaline fiber keep your knee warm.
- The magnets may cause problems for people who use pacemakers, insulin pumps, have metal implants in their knees, or for women who are pregnant. If any of those issues apply to you, don’t use them
- They come in two sizes, which fit most people. However, if you have legs that are more than 18 inches around the knee, they may be too tight. Those with very thin legs may find them too loose.
The Verdict For people looking for a more natural fiber, rather than the synthetic feel of most other knee sleeves, braces and supports sold nowadays, For-Knees is a great choice.
This product is truly ideal for those who either want to protect their knees from injury, who have sore knees due to overuse or wear and tear, especially for those over age 45, or who are athletes with knee pain and need a boost for healing. Whether it be hiking, walking, jogging, other physical activities such as tennis, golf, basketball, or even indoor activities like yoga, For-Knees are probably suitable. One customer noted that it helped her as a horseback rider.
If you have undergone surgery this can aid your recovery, assuming the surgery was not too radical, such as total knee replacement. It can be helpful in addition to physical therapy.
Before ordering, measure the knee just above the knee cap. Size Small is for those with knees 11”-13” around. Medium/Large fits knees 13”-17” around. For more information or to purchase, go here.
Upper Grade More Costly Knee Braces and Sleeves
The following three products are well known brand names, with higher prices. They address more serious situations than the first 4 products reviewed. So keep that in mind as you read these following reviews.
Hinged Knee Brace: Shock Doctor Maximum Support
Hinged Knee Brace: Shock Doctor Maximum Support Compression Knee Brace - For ACL/PCL Injuries, Patella Support, Sprains, Hypertension and More for Men and Women - (1 Knee Brace, Medium)
- PREVENTS AND PROTECTS - Helps prevent and heal medial and lateral instability, minor patella instability, meniscus injuries, minor ligament sprains, hypertension, arthritis, and more
- MOISTURE AND ODOR PREVENTION - Antimicrobial and airflow vented tech to reduce odor, bacteria, and moisture, so you can stay comfortable through the toughest days and workouts
- BOOST MOVEMENT AND COMFORT - Heavy duty bilateral dual hinges provide support while allowing you to move comfortably with four-way stretch Lycra mesh and pre-curved anatomical design, fits left and right knee
- PREMIUM MATERIALS - Latex-free, premium stitching, and integrated flexible side stabilizers, stays in place and includes easy grip tabs for accurate fitting
- LIFTS AND COMPRESSES - Compression supports soft tissue, joint alignment and relief, and boosts therapeutic heat for improved blood flow which aids in healing tendon and muscle
- This product is intended to be close-fitting for the best protection so it may fit small. If your measurements are close to the maximum size range, we recommend sizing up for comfort. Sizing will vary.
- Note: Kindly refer "how to measure" video included before purchase
The Shock Doctor Hinged Maximum Support Compression Knee Brace is a more serious variation of the available braces. A more expensive option, to be sure, but it makes up for the cost in performance. Just a glance at it tells you it really means business. Its bilateral hinges strong fabric ensure both a comfortable range of motion and strong support.
- ACL or PCL injuries
- Lateral and medial instability
- Patella issues
- Ligament sprains
- Other meniscus injuries
Pros and Cons
Even though its appearance comes may come off as stiff or immovable, it rates to be a very comfortable fit. Since you’d normally use it post injury, keeping movement in line is crucial to recovery. But there is much more to note about this product.
- The curve of this support intentionally matches the body’s anatomical shape so that it can fit perfectly.
- The use of the bilateral hinges helps to increase performance as well as stability. The hinges use tempered aluminum that also assists in stability.
- It works in a way to improve proprioception or bio-neurological stress awareness.
- The X-Fit strap system adds increased stability and pressure.
- The Hypalon sleeves and four-way Lycra mesh backing helps support the back of the knee and thus, the whole design. There is also vented Neoprene for ultimate breathing.
- Patella support is improved using Lycra as well which ensures lasting comfort.
- Front face stitching creates a cool look, that’s also long lasting and provides an interesting aesthetic.
- Easy to grab finger tabs for easier grip. The tabs are important for adjustment and removal since compression knee sleeves are supposed to fit snuggly.
- This is a pricier product. This support blends brace technology and compression relief. It is meant for more serious conditions, less so for use in sports.
Since perfect fit is crucial to a proper healing process of achieving usable support, this brand offers a large array of sizes, which gives it an advantage over a few of the variations we have explored. This brand does come off as too strong in some cases, but for many injuries, a high level of support is crucial to really get the job done. For weight lifters that are later in healing and are moving towards getting back in the game, this is a perfect option. The path to success is a perfect blend of alignment, support, and compression.
The Shock Doctor was developed with these factors in mind. By promoting proper blood flow and therapeutic warmth, it has easily gained a well-known reputation. For more information, go here.
McDavid 4200 Bio-Logix Knee Brace
McDavid Bio-Logix Knee Brace, Black, Right, Medium
- PROTECTION / PREVENTION - Designed as our most advanced knee support. Bi-Lateral aluminum hinges support for a fluid feel and natural range of motion.
- COMFORT - We've strategically combined rigid and soft materials to create a unique comfortable support. Comes with a compression sleeve for added support and comfort.
- BIO-LOGIX - Is a philosophy of sports medicine. Bio-Logix is an approach fully focused on the realities of the human form, advancing the sciences of design, materials and process to naturally extend the biomechanics of the natural human limits.
- COMPRESSION SLEEVE - Using the compression sleeve under the brace allows for the perfect combo: support, comfort, fit, performance and recovery.
- ADJUSTABLE - Our strap system allows for exceptional adjustment range and structural support. Use with or without the compression sleeve. Anatomically designed for men and women. Refer to the size chart picture and/or video before purchasing.
McDavid is one of the best known, most reputable brands in joint support products. As a name brand, its offerings are sometimes more expensive than generic or smaller less well know companies. Nonetheless, it provides a range of knee sleeves, braces and supports depending on the nature of the problem you have. For a convenient chart of 6 models and their uses, you can go here, and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
To save you the trouble of visiting the page, suffice it to say that of those six models, they range in use from grades:
- 1–Minor Pains and Sprains
- 2 and 3–Moderate to Major Instabilities
- and 3+, which is for Major Instabilities
The 4200 reviewed here is the 3+ grade and is a combination brace and sleeve, designed for major sprains of MCL, ACL, PCL and meniscus injuries, prevention of hyperextension, recovery and pain relief. Unlike more modest knee sleeves, this McDavid product has bilateral aluminum hinges. So it has both a knee sleeve and a semi rigid brace component. It uses its BIO-LOGIX philosophy to create this heavy duty device. As their product description notes, this is their top of the line product, for Major Instabilites, which combines both compression as well as metal hinge support for weak unstable knees. If you have ever had your knee buckle under you, you’ll know what they are talking about.
- The metal hinges give support where, in the case of severe sprain or injury, or operative recovery, when the joint is severely compromised, sleeves or wraps without the hinges may not be enough to support your body weight
- Even though the hinges are metal, since they are well designed aluminum, they are relatively light weight.
- Since they’re intended to emphasize stability over flexibility, they don’t perform the way a non hinged brace does.
- Given the more complex design and variety of components, it’s more expensive than the other 6 products featured in this overview
To put it simply, if you’ve got a major knee problem, and are not in a position to run marathons and play in your local sports team, but are just trying to get around, this is probably your best bet. To see the McDavid 4200 Bionic Knee Brace, go here.
Bauerfeind GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace
Bauerfeind GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace - Basketball Support with Medical Compression - Sleeve Design with Patella Pad Gel Ring for Pain Relief & Stabilization (Black, M)
- SIZING: Unlike neoprene, this brace is designed with a knit material that contours to your knee and requires proper sizing for a correct & effective fit. Make sure to measure points A & B in the sizing chart located in the images and below to receive the proper size. For point A, start 5.5 inches above the knee cap and measure the circumference of your thigh. For point B, measure down your calf from the center of your knee cap 4.75 inches. Measure the circumference of your calf at this point.
- MATERIALS & FIT: Medical-grade compression is incorporated throughout the GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace for medical & performance effects. Improving blood-flow oxygenates the muscles helping recovery & endurance on the court. The compression may feel tighter than expected & this is normal as most neoprene and cheaper knee supports don't offer this premium tier of material & compression. Straps are no longer needed as the material contours to the curves and muscles in the knee, quads & calves.
- STABILITY: From crossovers to slam dunks, athletes demand stability and support from their knee joints on the bball court. The GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace effectively stabilizes the knee area utilizing medical grade compression, spiral lateral stays, a viscoelastic patella gel pad and elastic comfort bands to keep the knee sleeve in place eliminating the need for bulky & uncomfortable straps.
- TRUST: Officially licensed GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace excels in performance and is the preferred solution of the NBATA (National Basketball Athletic Trainers Association). GenuTrain is used on court to support professional basketball players allowing them to play at peak performance. Trust that when you slide the GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace on your leg, you are geared up in professional support to allow you to play basketball at your personal best.
- PAIN RELIEF: Professional athletes perform at a high level and must rely on their bodies daily to support them in games & training. From pains such as jumpers knee (patellar tendonitis), sore knees, pain, instability and arthritis, professional athletes choose the best product on the market in order to keep their bodies in optimal performance condition and stay active on or off the court. This next level technology is now available to amateurs & basketball lovers to stay in the game pain-free.
The Bauerfeind GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace has the distinction of being the “Officially licensed GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace [which] excels in performance and is the preferred solution of the NBATA (National Basketball Athletic Trainers Association).
Unlike many of the cheaper sleeves, this one does not use neoprene. Instead it uses a sophisticated woven material made of Polyamide Nylon, Elastane Spandex, synthetic fibers and Lycra. This is important especially for sports like basketball, where sudden turns can cause injury. Therefore, stability is very important. The special weave provides that. The compression of the fabric helps to promote blood circulation, which can reduce pain and swelling and also strengthens the muscles and tendons that support the joint. Plus, it has spiral lateral stays, a viscoelastic patella gel pad and elastic comfort bands to keep the knee sleeve in place.
Bauerfeind promotes itself as a German company, famous for German high quality engineering standards. You might say this is ‘the BMW’ of the knee sleeve world. In keeping with its high standards, it recommends careful measurement of your knee before ordering, since the proper fit is necessary to maximize the benefits of this product. See its Amazon listing for specific details on sizing.
- This knee support blends Silicon Omega pads for a pressure free Patella and intermittent soft joint compression to help support the knee.
- Comes in two colors, black and white
- Has 7 different sizes which should fit almost all people’s needs
- The combination of special fabric, patella pad and side stabilizers gives both great support and protection, while allowing flexibility
- The materials are lightweight, breathable, comfortable and Machine washable
- This product is one of the most expensive options.
- It is design specifically for basketball players, so it may not be suitable in all situation, especially for more severe injuries or chronic conditions
The Bauerfeind GenuTrain NBA Knee Brace medical grade level compression is important. Sometimes, compression knee sleeves are too weak to do any good or, in contrast, are so strong it leads to more stress. It is unusual to see a significant national sports association, such as the National Basketball Athletic Trainers Association endorse a product. That, plus the high reputation of the German sports manufacturing company, Bauerfeind, caused me to include this product in this series of reviews, despite the fact that it has a relatively low number of Amazon reviews.
For more information on product detail or sizing, go here.
If you are looking for a good knee brace, and do a search on Amazon, you will come up with 9000 results! So, I chose, out of 9000 available choices, to review these seven. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Some are designed to emphasize some uses over others. If you read the reviews carefully, you can probably decide which knee brace or sleeve is best for you.
Should you have knee issues, it’s useful to know that there is more than one way to deal with them, often by using more than one method.
Be sure to read other articles on this site, since several other ways to treat your knees are discussed, from simple things like losing weight if you are overweight, to finding ways to support your joints with the right kinds of food, to use of pain relief machines or home exercises, yoga, use of gym equipment. And then there are both natural remedies books dealing with knee pain, as well as experimental, oriental medical treatments.
The purpose of this blog is to alert people to many approaches, which may be overlooked by mainstream sources. Before deciding to cut back on your activities or go deep into debt for treatments, use the free information available here, and if you like, please support this site by going to visit the products suggested here. Thanks for reading!
Considering a Knee Support Sleeve or Brace?
Four Main Reasons to Get One:
- You believe you need one because you have a sore knee and want to know the options
- You play sports and want to know what options exist (That’s the overwhelming majority of people searching for knee pain and knee brace options.)
- Your work or hobbies involve a lot of direct knee-to-ground contact, with constant pressure on the joint.
- However, people have serious knee pain that impacts walking. In that situation, see a doctor.
Now, in the interest of full transparency up front, this article links to various knee brace options — it is not meant to review one as better than another; rather it is just to give you information about different kinds of knee supports, to use in normal situations. By normal, I mean other than acute situations like a serious injury, where a doctor will most likely recommend some treatment for you.
First, though: some brief context.
My Background and Interest
I’ve actually had two meniscus tears, significant cartilage wear, and have been hit by a motorcycle — all on the same knee.
Interior of the knee, normal vs torn meniscus
As a result, I took a large personal interest in knee pain and solutions. I’ve done hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours of research on the topic of knee health, running the gamut from spicy foods to relieve inflammation to choosing knee support sleeves. The image on the right is an MRI, or Magnetic Resonance Image of a knee showing the difference between a normal healthy knee and a torn meniscus, the tissue that separates the two bones in the leg that meet at the knee.
Knee Brace Options: 12 Kinds to Consider for Normal Use
Here is a chart of the types we discuss here. If you see something you want to check on further, just click the button for more details.
EzyFit Knee Brace Support Dual Stabilizers & Open Patella - Adjustable Breathable Neoprene for ACL...
Go to Amazon
POWERLIX Compression Knee Sleeve - Best Knee Brace for Meniscus Tear, Arthritis, Quick Recovery etc....
Go to Amazon
McDavid 402 Knee Supp Open/Pat (Black, Medium)
Go to Amazon
For-Knees Magnetic Compression Knee Brace Support Sleeve - Natural Soft Yet Thick Cotton Material -...
Go to Amazon
1 Pair Tourmaline Magnetic Therapy Orthopedic Knee Support Belt by JERN (Adjustable Self Heating...
Go to Amazon
Copper Fit Pro Series Compression Knee Sleeve, Black with Copper Trim, Medium
Go to Amazon
ProFitness Bamboo Knee Sleeve for Joint Pain Improved Circulation Compression - Effective Support...
Go to Amazon
Mava Sports Knee Wraps (Pair) for Cross Training WODs,Gym Workout,Weightlifting,Fitness &...
Go to Amazon
IPOW 2 Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer Knee Strap Brace Support for Hiking, Soccer,...
Go to Amazon
TechWare Pro Knee Compression Sleeve - Best Knee Brace with Side Stabilizers & Patella Gel Pads for...
Go to Amazon
Bodyprox Protective Knee Pads, Thick Sponge Anti-Slip, Collision Avoidance Knee Sleeve (Large)
Go to Amazon
NoCry Professional Knee Pads with Heavy Duty Foam Padding and Comfortable Gel Cushion, Strong Double...
Go to Amazon
For both soreness reasons and sports participation reasons, many knee pain sufferers do use compression elastic knee sleeves. They go by various names, as you’ll see.
Knee sleeves are different from braces, but belong in the same family for treating pain and soreness. The terms are often used interchangeably, however. One way to think about it is that knee sleeves slip on over the leg, whereas knee braces often strap on, usually with self fastening socalled “hook and loop” fabric, which stick together when they come into contact. Both types can protect a previous injury from further damage; likewise, both can prevent future injury or risk.
If you regularly run, jump, or do weightlifting, either a knee sleeve or brace can be a good option for you.
Compression elastic knee sleeves typically stabilize the knee and reduce pain during and after a workout. That’s one of the reasons for their popularity.
It’s important to remember something about them: a knee brace is designed to protect the anterior knee and patella. Some sleeves with supporting side stabilizers provide even more support for ligaments. As the chart above shows, what follow are examples of different kinds of braces.
The two most common kinds are:
- Open sleeves with hook and loop, self fasteners
- Full closed sleeves which you slip on and off
- Open patella slip-ons
What do “open patella” and “closed patella” mean here?
You’ll sometimes see these terms when researching knee braces. Open patella means the kneecap is left open/exposed. A closed patella knee brace covers the kneecap, usually with continuous fabric. Here is what Livestrong has to say:
<<Open patella braces, as the name suggests, leave the patella or kneecap uncovered. Some models are completely open in front, while others have a small reinforced opening just large enough for the patella. Advocates of open patella braces consider them more comfortable for extended wear than closed patella braces, which take the form of a continuous tube of supportive material.
Closed patella knee braces can sometimes cause or aggravate knee injuries by applying pressure to the patella during a workout and causing it to move off-center, or rub against the underlying joint. Many open patella braces are designed specifically to support the patella as a secondary benefit, holding it in proper alignment relative to the rest of the knee joint. Open patella braces provide slightly less support than closed patella braces, so powerlifters and bodybuilders often favor the closed design. Athletes in more active sports often favor open patella braces for their lightness and flexibility.
The biggest difference in selection tends to be the primary type of athletics or workouts you do. Open patella knee braces are better for those who run or participate in more cardio-driven events, because they’re lighter and flexible. The negative is that they often provide a lower degree of support. As mentioned above with knee wraps, oftentimes weightlifters prefer closed patella knee braces because of increased support. There is a drawback, however: the pressure applied can cause the patella to move off-center or rub against another joint. This can exacerbate problems later in life.>>
12 Varieties of Knee Braces
While there are endless variations, here are the main kinds you’ll find.
First, the most common ones:
- Self Fastening Strap-on Knee Braces
- Slip on Knee Sleeves–both open and closed patella
Second, more specialized versions:
- Magnetic Knee Compression Sleeve
- Tourmaline Strap-on
- Copper fiber
- Bamboo fiber
- Narrow width straps
- Wide with wraparound wraps
- Gel Sleeves
- Padded Sleeves
- Heavy Duty Work Knee Pads
1. Self Fastening Wraps–EzyFit Brace Support
EzyFit Knee Brace Support Dual Stabilizers & Open Patella - Adjustable Breathable Neoprene for ACL Meniscus Tear Injury Recovery Comfort Fit-Black/Blue,Extra Large - 16" - 24"
- COMFORT AND QUALITY YOU'LL LOVE: Feel great again and able to exercise, workout, play sport or enjoy running with the kids without pain or instability. Easy to use support & comfort including reinforced double stitching and strong velcro closures.
- BEST EXERCISE SUPPORT: Wear while exercising & playing, for general knee pain securely stays in place even during rigorous exercise, hiking, running and sports. Ideal to assist recovery from knee surgery, arthritis, Meniscus Tear, ACL, MCL, LCL,Tendonitis
- CHECK OUT 3 SIZES AVAILABLE TO FIT ALL: Other knee braces do not offer sizes that work for you. Choose your best adjustable fit by measuring around your leg at the knee cap. Sizes include: Medium (knee measuring 10"-14"), Large (14"-17"),XL (16"-24")
- ANTI-SLIP BI-DIRECTIONAL STRAPS DESIGN: Alternating wrapping from all angles help to stabilize patella to reduce knee joint pain ensuring it stays firmly while you move, quadruple side stabilizers,two on either side of the knee for maximum lateral support
- OPEN PATELLA HELPS RELIEVES PATELLA TENDONITIS & PATELLOFEMORAL: Full movement and flexibility of the joint while you exercise - 3.5mm quality stretch Neoprene, with nylon and polyester blend for easy wash and wear.
The EzyFit Knee Brace Support is quite popular. Here’s why:
These stays adjust to the contour of your leg. It has dual size stabilizers. Plus, it has three sizes to choose from. So be sure to measure your knee before ordering. Also, of course it is open at the front, so it hugs and stabilizes the patella. The Ezyfit Support is meant for both protection during sports, as well as “to assist recovery from knee surgery, arthritis, Meniscus Tear, ACL, MCL, LCL,Tendonitis”.
2. Slip on Knee Sleeve–Close Patella: Powerlix
POWERLIX Compression Knee Sleeve - Best Knee Brace for Meniscus Tear, Arthritis, Quick Recovery etc. - Knee Support for Running, Crossfit, Basketball and Other Sports - Single Wrap
- PHENOMENAL PROTECTION: PowerLix Knee brace apply stable pressure across your knee joint. Offers optimal muscle support between workouts and during casual everyday activities. With our sleeve, you'll be able to tackle any activity life throws your way, while ensuring you're a step ahead in injury prevention! PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT OUR SIZING CHART AND MEASURE YOUR CIRCUMFERENCE BASE ON OUR INSTRUCTIONS!
- PUSH YOURSELF TO THE LIMIT!: Our Knee support is the perfect fit for any activity that involves a great amount of stress on the joints like, Baseball, Basketball, CrossFit, Soccer Golf, gym, Hiking, Running, Tennis, Volleyball and more! You'll be able to enjoy exceptional Knee support while still maintaining your peak performance and a full range of leg motion!
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Our Knee sleeve is manufactured to provide superior support and comfort without compromising your mobility. Tight, form-fitting, and breathable compression fabric maintains joint stability regardless of activity while avoiding the itchiness common to neoprene supports. Quick at absorbing sweat and keeps your leg dry and odor free, gives you hours of continuous use!
- BREATHTAKING DESIGN & ANTI-SLIP SYSTEM: Special knitted technical design with two silicone gel strips, ensuring your sleeve stays always put, no matter what you do! The beautiful design of the sleeve in blue & black makes you look fashionable anywhere anytime. The special fabric gives you a smooth and soft feel so you can wear them all day long!
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE- We truly want you to be happy with your new Knee brace and our professional customer service will do whatever it takes to ensure your satisfaction we are offering a 6-month guarantee, no questions asked.
The POWERLIX Compression Knee Sleeve is the #1 Best Seller in Knee Sleeves. It comes in 5 sizes, so be sure to measure your knee. It has a silicon band to prevent slipping, which is an occasional concern of people who use knee sleeves. For you basic slip-on sleeve, this is an excellent choice. With over 4000 reviews and a 4+ star rating, and reasonable price, if you are looking for a basic knee sleeve, this is the one. The purpose of this knee sleeve is protection and injury prevention.
3. Open Patella Slip On Sleeve: McDavid
McDavid 402 Knee Supp Open/Pat (Black, Medium)
- INCREASE MUSCLE PRODUCTIVITY: Compression warms your muscles, which makes tired muscles happy, this streamlines the healing process so you can stay in the game longer
- PROTECT AND PREVENT: Relief and protection from arthritis, tendonitis, patella alignment injuries, bursitis, meniscus tears and more, can also prevent injuries from occurring
- HIGH-QUALITY STITCHING: Doesn't itch or rub, 5 needle stitch for a flatter, cleaner, stronger seam, won't irritate skin during extended use or vigorous activity
- ULTRA BREATHABLE: Elastic knit neoprene material contours to your knee and leg while repelling sweat and oil for a dry, lightweight fit
- DURABLE: Heavy duty outside for repeated wear-and-tear, great for weekly workouts, exercise routines, and daily knee support
The McDavid Open Patella Knee Support is also an excellent choice, if you want a model with an open patella, per the earlier discussion. It says, “PROTECT AND PREVENT: Relief and protection from arthritis, tendonitis, patella alignment injuries, bursitis, meniscus tears and more, can also prevent injuries from occurring”. Which is exactly what the average person wants in a basic knee sleeve.
4. Magnetic Knee Compression Braces: For-Knees
For-Knees Magnetic Compression Knee Brace Support Sleeve - Natural Soft Yet Thick Cotton Material - Latex Elastic Yarn - 13 1000-1200 Gauss Supermagnets
- COMFORT FIT FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: For-Knees compression knee brace. Made with breathable cotton, latex yarn and tourmaline fiber, our knee support sleeves offer great support for men and women
- MAGNETIC THERAPY: 13 1200 Gauss supermagnets stimulate circulation to draw iron rich blood cells deep into affected muscles and tissue, encourage pain relief and stimulate healing of sore joints & muscles.
- TOURMALINE ENHANCED WITH NANOTECHNOLOGY: This new technology stores your body heat, reflects back as far infrared warmth to relief arthritis,reduce muscle pain and spasm, counteract joint stiffness and Raynaud's Syndrome
- IDEAL AID FOR OUTDOOR OR SPORTING ACTIVITIES: The For-Knees compression brace is perfect for anyone looking to diminish joint & muscle pain experienced during such activities as; Jogging, Tennis, Basketball, Golf, Yoga, or Simply Walking.
- NOTE: If you are severely overweight, or have severe pain, see a doctor. These knee braces are NOT designed to cure obesity, fractures or other significant injury
The For-knees Magnetic Knee Compression Sleeve distinguishes itself as Amazon’s Choice for Magnetic Knee Brace for Pain. There is admittedly some debate on the effectiveness of Magnetic Therapy in general healing, and that applies to the magnetic knee brace as well. A magnetic knee brace is usually used in moderate to severe cases including arthritis, sprains, post-surgical recovery, and more. It also provides fine protection during sports, golf, working out, and so on. Unlike the the products mentioned earlier, this has:
- 13 supermagnets
- Cotton, and latex fiber yarn, which are natural fibers, not synthetic
- tourmaline fiber which helps keep you joint and leg warm
- like the three mentioned above, it makes use of compression, to stabilize and protect the knee
13 magnets, in fact supermagnets are placed at acupuncture points around the knee joint. Supermagnets were developed in the mid 1980’s as an alloy of the rare earth mineral neodymium, iron and boron. They hold their charge for a long time and are far more powerful than conventional iron magnets. They’re used in many hi tech applications, but now we see them in knee sleeves.
The magnets are thought to speed up healing, adjust compression, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupunture. A magnetic knee brace can be pricier than conventional knee sleeves and braces: the rare earth minerals and special manufacturing increase the cost of materials, so if cost is your main objective, you may want to consider other options.
5. Tourmaline Knee Braces: Jern
1 Pair Tourmaline Magnetic Therapy Orthopedic Knee Support Belt by JERN (Adjustable Self Heating Knee Brace for Men & Women)
- ACUPUNCTURE BASED, self-warming brace design with 6 EMBEDDED MAGNETS. The knee braces warm up after they are worn for 20 minutes.
- SAFE, COMFORTABLE and EASY to wear. ADJUSTABLE STRAPS to fit men and women.
- HELPS improve blood circulation, promote metabolism, clear the meridians and enhance immunity.
- FOR pain relief, osteoarthritis in the knee, sports injuries, bruises, edema and rheumatic diseases.
- Package includes 1 Pair / 2 Pcs. Please refer to the pictures and read the description for HOW TO WEAR directions to ensure a comfortable fit.
The Tourmaline Adjustable Self Heating Knee Brace by Jern is quite unique. Tourmaline is a semi precious stone/mineral that has traditionally been used for making jewelry. In recent years, advanced chemistry discovered a way to make the tourmaline gather heat. Similar to the way a luminous dial watch collects visible light and then reflects it back, activated tourmaline does the same with your body heat, which is in fact far infrared light on the spectrum of light from infrared to visible to ultraviolet.
This product uses straps to wrap your knee, but are not meant to provide compression or support. If your knee hurts, you simply put it on, or you can also wet its inside before wearing it. Almost miraculously, after a few minutes, you will feel real heat on your skin. In fact, it may even get too hot after about 15 minutes. So it’s not supposed to be worn for long periods of time. This comes as a pair. These also have 6 magnets.
The premise of Tourmaline knee braces is that infrared rays help stimulate tiny blood vessels in the knee, dilating the cells. As a result, fresh oxygenated blood can reach the affected area, which speeds up healing. One common descriptor of Tourmaline braces on the Internet is “self-heating braces,” and that’s a good way to conceptualize what they do. You can read about tourmaline far infrared therapy here.
6. Copper Knee Sleeves: Copper Fit
Copper Fit Pro Series Compression Knee Sleeve, Black with Copper Trim, Medium
- High-performance copper-infused compression sleeves with built-in kinesiology bands.4-way stretch fabric is soft and comfortable.
- Built in kinesiology bands provide targeted compression and dynamic support and helps relieve pain and inflammation
- Comfortable compression helps provide rejuvenating relief and support for everyday aches and pains, muscle stiffness and soreness
- Supports improved circulation and oxygenation of working muscles which helps to reduce swelling for faster recovery
- Machine Washable: Lightweight .Sizing chart accurate and may differ based on customer needs due to nature of item.
The Copper Fit Compression Sleeve
Former NFL QB Brett Favre actually endorses these copper knee braces, and he had numerous knee issues in his career. Copper knee braces are generally designed to help with mild pain during exercise– and they can be used as part of a longer-term recovery. Oftentimes, the biggest benefit of copper knee braces is that the associated fabric will be antibacterial, keeping odor down — and because of copper’s generally-malleable nature, these types of braces can be good for running aand provide good support for various activities. It also aids in comforting pain and aiding circulation with its special compression design.
This product comes in 4 sizes, Medium, Large, X-Large, and XX-Large.
There is some question as to the healing powers of copper. People’s subjective experience differs, as is also the case with magnets. Some people swear by them, some feel no effect.
7. Bamboo Fabric Knee Sleeves: ProFitness
ProFitness Bamboo Knee Sleeve for Joint Pain Improved Circulation Compression - Effective Support for Running, Jogging,Workout, Walking, Hiking and Recovery (Small, Black)
- PROVIDES KNEE SUPPORT - Our ProFitness knee compression sleeves offer solid protection when you are out putting in a lot of miles on the trails or the treadmill.
- SUPPORTS POST SURGERY RECOVERY - Delivering all-around knee support and compression after surgery. Our knee sleeve will make sure the path back to your lifestyle is a safe one. Good for pain management.
- DELIVERS ALL-AROUND COMFORT - ProFitness knee sleeves for arthritis pain relief wrap around your knees and give you comfort. Tight, protective covering with a balance of support and compression. Prevents injury.
- PREVENTS INJURY - Bamboo Fabric Knee sleeves helps athletes avoid joint pain. Knee compression sleeve also can provide arthritis pain relief, too.
- THREE COLOR OPTIONS - Select your ProFitness knee sleeves in blue, gray, black style.
ProFitness is Amazon’s Choice for Bamboo Knee Brace. It has a 4.5 Star Rating and is very versatile in terms of its uses. The ProFit product provides compression support during activities. It aids in post surgery recovery, arthritis relief, pain relief, and so on.
Bamboo knee braces are typically wraps which use fibers from bamboo charcoal. The perceived benefits are:
- Reflection of body heat
Bamboo charcoal is bamboo that’s been carbonized inside an oven. It creates a kind of porous, but durable end product that sometimes is used to filter water. The porous nature means it naturally adjusts, which is why it eventually became a logical knee sleeve product. One complaint about them, as seen on this Amazon thread, is that they tend to slide or rolldown the knee, which can be annoying.
ProFitness also comes in 4 sizes and 3 colors. So you have a lot of choices. One other advantage is that the cost of materials is relatively low, so that it’s one of the less expensive offerings. It even comes as a pair. They have the feel of a natural fiber (bamboo is certainly a product of nature) and are very comfortable on he skin.
8. Knee Wraps: Mava Sports
Mava Sports Knee Wraps (Pair) for Cross Training WODs,Gym Workout,Weightlifting,Fitness & Powerlifting - Best Knee Straps for Squats - for Men & Women- 72"-Compression & Elastic Support (Black)
- HOOK AND LOOP CLOSURE - NO MORE loose ends - this pair comes with easy to use adjustable hook and loop closure
- COMPRESSION - Streachable High Performance Elastic Fabric, easy adjustable according to different compression needs
- EXTRA SUPPORT - this 72 inch wrap can be used as knee brace, knee sleeve, knee band, knee defender all these thanks to the easy to use material, design and its hook and loop system
- SUPERIOR COMFORT - NO MORE WORRIES - these knee compression support wraps won't slip, unroll or fall off. Stronger material provides best support for heavy squats, cross training,leg presses and high intensity lifting
Many probably think of a knee wrap as something like an elastic wraparound bandage. Mava Sports clearly targets fitness enthusiasts: Powerlifters, Crossfit, Gym Workouts and so on. It is a 72″ long strip that provides compression and support. It attaches with the ‘hook and loop’ technology.
Knee wraps are a favorite of powerlifters because they allow them to squat more. As they go downwards in a squat, the wrap allows for elastic energy to be stored — which they can use as they push upward. The downside: while they might help you move more weight, they don’t necessarily help you get any stronger. And because a tight knee wrap pushes the kneecap into the thighbone, they can increase the chances of arthritis in later life.
The stretchable elastic fabric creates great compression which is adjustable. They won’t slide or roll off. This item is clearly targeting committed weight lifters, so you are that kind of person, then these are probably what you are looking for.
IPOW 2 Pack Knee Pain Relief & Patella Stabilizer Knee Strap Brace Support for Hiking, Soccer, Basketball, Running, Jumpers Knee, Tennis, Tendonitis, Volleyball & Squats, Black
- Shock-absorbing & Knee Pain Relief - Segmented fix design can make adjustment according personal knees' curves to supply better protection of patella, and do make a difference for your knee.
- Full Adjustable & One Size Fits All - Double Knot Design, fully adjustable strap offered flexibility to make adjustment for tightness, fits for sizing of 10-18 inches in circumference.
- Comfortable & Stay in Place - Adapted high-quality raw materials and standardized production techniques, soft and breathable fabric with smooth edges and fine stitches make you wear without any discomfort, non-slip after a long period of exercise.
- Applicable Scene - Suitable for a variety of sports scenes, such as basketball, running, fitness, training, especially for intense sports that require frequent jumping and landing, which can improve sports performance.
- 100% Risk-Free Satisfaction Guarantee - Our knee straps are tested in real-life situations by demanding users, and are constantly updated based on your feedback. If in a rare case you aren't satisfied with the item, contact us to enjoy 100% cash back.
The IPOW is Amazon’s Choice for Knee Strap. A strap is just what you would think. It wraps around the leg just below the patella and applies pressure and support to the tendon. It takes stress off the patella, and the knee tendons. This comes as a pair, and is meant to be for all purpose protection and pain relief. It’s designed to stay in place, that is, non slip, fully adjustable, and one size fits all. You can use this device for just about any sports activity.
A concern, mentioned in this Runner’s World community thread, is that oftentimes runners assume a knee brace or knee strap will provide the right support. In a running context, the support/stability should be coming from your muscles. That’s not to say you shouldn’t use one. It can be beneficial to do free weight work, squatting, and running and work out issues.
TechWare Pro Knee Compression Sleeve - Best Knee Brace with Side Stabilizers & Patella Gel Pads for Knee Support. Arthritis, Meniscus Tear, Joint Pain Relief & Sports Injury Recovery. Single
- MORE FEATURES THAN JUST A COMPRESSION SLEEVE Stabilizer Bars & Patella GEL PAD Adds Extra Support and Compression To The Knee Area for Pain Relief Help and Injury Recovery.
- CHOOSE THREE SIZES FOR BEST FIT Measure Thigh and Calf Circumference at 5.5" From the CENTER of the PATELLA. Available in Medium, Large and X-Large. See Size Chart (2nd Image) Mens & Ladies.
- BREATHABLE KNITTED SOFT FABRIC WITH NON SLIP SILICONE STRIPS For Crossfit, Tennis, Cycling Volleyball, Jogging, Powerlifting, Skateboarding, Triathlon, Walking, Hiking, Wrestling, Skiing, Golf, Soccer, Zumba, Climbing, Gymnastics, Weightlifting, Yoga, Squats, Baseball, Football, Bodybuilding, Martial Arts, Runners, Dance, Gym Workouts, Exercising and Other Fitness Sports.
- COMFORT WRAP SUPPORT AND PAIN RELIEF Makes it Ideal For Every Day Use for Meniscus Tears, ACL, PCL, MCL Injuries, Swelling, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis and Post Surgery Protection. Also Prevents Injuries and Reduces Inflammation. Get Back to Enjoying Your Activities.
- MONEY BACK SATISFACTION GUARANTEE Tech Ware Pro Knee Compression Sleeve Brace is the BEST for Pain Relief, Fit and Support. If For Any Reason You Are Not Convinced, Contact Us and Receive Our 60 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Gel knee braces are a new entrant; they’ve only gained more popularity in the last decade or so. The core benefits are patella support (via a thick oval gel), compression, and support on both sides of the knee for overall stability. The major disadvantage to be aware of is that gel braces often make sweating worse, as heat and moisture stay close to the body as opposed to evaporating. If getting sweaty joints during a workout concerns you, these might not be your best bet.
11. Sports Knee Pad: Bodyprox Protective Thick Sponge Anti-Slip, Collision Avoidance
Bodyprox Protective Knee Pads, Thick Sponge Anti-Slip, Collision Avoidance Knee Sleeve (Large)
- 1 Pair Kneepads (Left and right), Unisex design, two sizes available. Polyester 45%/ Rubber 25%/ EVA 30%, Latex Free.
- Your Safety is Our Priority-made of high-density strengthen foam, good elasticity, breathable fabric keeps skin dry, and more comfortable.
- Ergonomic design, super lightweight, provides freedom of movement. An ideal knee protector for outdoor sports.
- Protect and Prevent knee injuries during exercise. Keep warm, prevention and reduction of stiff muscles and joints. Effectively impact resistance, increase blood circulation.
- Warranty Guaranteed- your money will not be wasted, we always put value to your money. Satisfaction is our optimum concern. Your business with us comes with our no-risk, no-question, asked Money Back Guarantee, and Top-Rated Customer Service.
Knee pads are probably the oldest name in the knee repair/protection game; welders, floor tilers–people who have to spend time kneeling on the floor, especially hard surfaces, have been using them for years, for example. However, for sports, the kind covered here provides basic support, plus, they protect your knees from bumps or falls. Having that extra cushion can make a big difference if you fall on your knee, or someone hits your knee during play, as in basket ball, volleyball, soccer, football and so on.
The Bodyprox is Amazon’s Choice for Wrestling Knee Pads but of course, with its thick foam, it protects against all kinds of impacts. It comes as a pair and provides the usual features of a knee sleeve, such as flexibility, warmth, aids circulation, and so on. It comes in 2 sizes: small/medium and large.
NoCry Professional Knee Pads with Heavy Duty Foam Padding and Comfortable Gel Cushion, Strong Double Straps and Adjustable Easy-Fix Clips
- EASY TO ADJUST FOR A TIGHT, SECURE FIT. Flexible neoprene straps and an ergonomic design keep the knee pads snugly in place all day long. Plus, the quick release slip buckle clips make putting on and taking off your pads a snap
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT AND SAFETY. Soft gel core and durable EVA foam padding cushion your knees for hours on end. A heavy-duty thick poly shield protects against cuts or scrapes on any terrain
- USE AT HOME OR ON THE JOB. Ideal for working on concrete and hardwood floors, construction work, flooring and carpet installations, welding, stocking shelves, gardening, cleaning, and more
- BUILT TO WITHSTAND HEAVY USE. Heavy-weight nylon thread ensures long-lasting durability. 600D polyester mesh breathes for all-day comfort
- IMPORTANT. We've discovered an issue with the attachment rivets popping off when in use. We have managed to reduce the rate of these defective knee pads considerably, but not yet completely. We feel very bad about it and are actively working on solutions. If you receive a defective product, contact us, and we will immediately send you a replacement unit for free. No return required.
The other knee braces reviewed here are primarily used for two purposes: Protection and prevention of injury during sports and other activities, or for soothing knee pain which is not acute. However, many times, people do work on their knees, such as laying tiles or gardening, where you’ll have your body weight right on your joint on a hard surface. For a minute or two, it doesn’t matter so much, but being on your knees for longer periods of time can not only become painful, but can eventually put too much strain on the knee, possibly causing damage.
For that reason a specialized knee pad is called for. As the name suggests, you won’t be crying if you wear these. They’re Amazon’s #1 Best Seller in Safety Knee Pads. Fully cushioned, with both foam and gel, they’re designed for heavy duty use. They come in a pair as one size fits all, and rather than a slip on or hook and loop means of putting them on, these have clips. They’re clearly NOT designed for knee flexibility and movement, but just for cushioning on surfaces, from carpet to concrete.
It may be that you play sports and you also have work which requires your being on your knees. In that case, don’t expect just one type of knee appliance to do everything. If you do have knee pain and have to work on the floor, then get this for your floor work and one of the other knee pain products to relieve pain. And of course if you play sports and need protection, several of the other braces profiled here can help as well.
In passing, there is another type of brace you can consider if you do have an injury or swelling. Those use cold therapy, which you can find discussed in the article, The Top Six Ice Packs for Knees Reviewed
Where do you begin?
First, you begin by clarifying exactly what your objective is: Is it protection from injury during sports or work? Or is it treatment of soreness, sprains, or other injuries that don’t require immediate medical attention, if any. If your issue is pain, then start by understanding different treatment options, which run from self-care to orthopedics. Selecting a knee brace would fall within self-care although a physical therapist sometimes recommend them as part of a treatment program, and orthopedic doctors may suggest them either as a stop gap measure in lieu of surgery, or as post operative support.
If it’s a protection context, there are a number of resources you can look into.
As we discussed at the very beginning of this article, any serious knee issue or pain preventing walking/mobility, suggests you see a physician. The goal of this article and others we publish is to give you an understanding of different pain relief, and prevention options under the “self-care” umbrella.
The main point is: Don’t wait until a small problem becomes a big and expensive problem. Support your knees now. Consider your alternatives and take action.