What are the Benefits of Baking Your own Bread?
Here is the Bread Recipe I Made Up
I just baked this bread. It’s made with mostly regular bread flour. If I use all whole wheat flour it is more nutritious, but doesn’t look as nice. My white bread friends say that a heavy whole wheat, whole grain bread tastes like eating a brick. And my all natural foodie friends think white bread tastes like eating a feather pillow. So each to his or her own. Whatever you do, if it’s fresh with real ingredients, you can’t go too far wrong. The only ‘danger’ is that it tastes so good, right out of the oven, you may eat the whole thing before it cools down, adding to your weight. So a little restraint.
1 1/2 cups White Bread Flour
1/4 cup Whole wheat Flour
1/4 cup Rye Flour
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 duck eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
Honey, yeast, water, oil for total liquids 1 cup.
I hand made this. No bread machine. Let it rise once, made this loaf, baked 35 minutes for nice brown crust. A great midnight snack.
Secret to a Quick Bread Rise
Before you get your other ingredients together, heat a small amount of water, hot enough to dip your finger in. Add it to a mix of activated dry yeast and either real natural brown sugar, or a couple of table spoons of honey. Get your dry ingredients together while the yeast mixture is doing its thing. By the time you put your dries into a nice big mixing bowl. and get your wets, such as eggs, milk, honey, oil, butter, and so on, the yeast mixture should have frothed up to make a nice thick head of foam. Add that to the other ingredients in a measuring cup. It should come to about a cup of liquid. The oil keeps the bread dough from being too sticky, so it is easier to cleanup.
Yes, all my Vegan, Keto, low carb, zero gluten and all the other diet fad friends. It breaks all their rules. But sometimes, there’s nothing like a nice piece of bread, a sandwich, or some of the other great stuff you can do with bread, like stuffing or french toast or even the lowly PB and J sandwich.
Here are some quick benefits of baking your own bread.
- It gives you a mental break from all the cares and preoccupations of daily life.
- You know exactly what ingredients went into it, maximizing benefits and minimizing artificial and other ingredients, such as excess sugar, that cause inflammation and undermine health.
- Those around you appreciate home made bread.
- Home made bread is fresh and delicious out of the oven.
- You can teach others, such as your children, your spouse, or neighbors and acquaintances.
- Baking bread is a community event that is free of controversy and builds friendships and solidarity.
- As the old saying goes, ‘nothing says lovin’ like something from the oven.
- To paraphrase the three great demands of the people–Peace, Love, and Bread.
Here is the bread I baked last night. I learned this when I lived in a Zen community in the USA. One of the first books on natural foods baking was by Zen monk Ed Brown, who wrote The Tassajara Bread Book, named after Tassajara, site of the first Zen monastery in the USA, where I lived for 2 years. You can order it here.B004QWZCEWB004QWZCEW