Are You Over 65 and Want to Protect Your Health and Stay in Shape?
For some people over age 65, using an elliptical, treadmill, cycle or rowing machine is just fine. However, the equipment available in gyms can vary widely, so when you’re choosing the best exercise machine in a gym — or buying a machine — keep these factors in mind. via The Best Exercise Machine for Over 70 Years of Age.
However, my personal preference is to use a rowing machine. The idea of using a treadmill to me reminds me of those rats in lab experiments. If I’m going to walk, I like fresh air and the outdoors. Elliptical trainers are also good because they work multiple muscle groups. So if that’s your preference, that’s fine, too. As for cycling, I prefer to combine small errands around town on a bicycle. So get the exercise as well as get somewhere.
It’d be great to go rowing in a boat, but if you’re not near a river or a rowing club, then a rowing machine is a great alternative. You can even keep one around the house. They don’t take up so much room and are easy and convenient to work out on.
Senior Moments, and Balance Issues
As we get older, we may find some memory loss or balance issues. Not to mention that our joints are not what they used to be, and we want to avoid impact caused by running or other types of exercise. So for that reason, a rowing machine takes care of those issues as well. Here are two rowing machines you can consider.
Stamina ATS Rower
This checks all the boxes for a reasonably priced rowing machine–some rowing machines cost 5 times more. The fact that it comes with a 3 year warranty of the frame is great. However, the 90 warranty on parts is a bit of a concern. As of this writing, it gets a 3.8 star review, which is passable but not great. Most of the reviews are 4 and 5 star, however, a number of reviewers say the machine broke after the warranty ran out—not a good thing! Probably the most accurate review says “it is good machine for the money, but if you want reliable quality, look elsewhere.” If you use this machine for light use, it will probably be OK. On the other hand, as of this writing, it ranks in the top ten for rowing machines.
So the Pros are:
- Relatively inexpensive
- Lots of Reviews
- Ranks high for rowing machines Its star rating is mediocre
- Star Rating is Passable
- Some people have had issues with durability
- Rowing Machine Dimensions: 75.5 L x 18.75 W x 22 H Inches / Weight: 54 Pounds. Features Comfortable Padded, Upholstered Seat Slides Easily.
- Designed With Efficient Wind Resistance for Smooth Rowing Stroke And Multi-Function, Electronic Performance Monitor Displays: Speed, Time, and Calories Burned.
- Equipped With Large Foot Plates To Fit Every User. Adjustable Nylon Foot Straps Hold Feet Securely in Place While The Over-Sized Seat Rail Offers Smooth Sliding Seat. Angled Seat Rail for Easy Seat Return.
- Sturdy Steel Construction with Tough, Nylon Rowing Strap. Folds For Storage And Features Wheels for Portability and Floor Protectors Safeguard Your Workout Area and Prevent Skidding.
- Enjoy 3 years manufacturer warranty on frame and 90 days manufacturer warranty on parts plus free shipping when you purchase from Dazadi.
Sunny Health and Fitness Magnetic Rower, SF-RW5515
As the information box shows, this rower has all the important stuff: Digital Monitor, Foam Grip Handle Bars, Non slip Foot Pedals, Transportation Wheels and Adjustable Resistance. It has over 1000 reviews and a respectable 4.1 Star Rating. This is also only about 1/5 the price of the higher end “premier’ rowing machine, the Concept 2 rowing machine. While it doesn’t cite a specific warranty on its Amazon page, one customer said that when the machine broke, the company replaced it with no charge.
What is also significant, is that, as of this writing (which is subject change) it is an “Amazon’s Choice” rowing machine and ranks # 2 for “Rowing Machines”
- Relatively inexpensive
- Has all the basics of a rowing machine
- Not as reliable and durable as more expensive models
- DIGITAL MONITOR - The large LCD console displays time, count, calories, total count, Scan. The convenient scan mode displays your progress to assist you in tracking all your fitness goals
- FOAM GRIP HANDLEBARS - Help prevent calluses with the improved Sunny Health & Fitness Handle Bars. Non-Slip foam grip handlebars offer comfort while enduring those long rides. Slide rail inseam: 44 inch
- NON-SLIP FOOT PEDALS - Textured non-slip foot pedals will ensure safe footing during the most demanding and vigorous workouts! Foot straps keep your feet saddled in so you can focus on the workout without feeling unbalanced
- TRANSPORTATION WHEELS - Built in transportation wheels for easy portability. Simply tilt and roll out for use or away for storage, no need for heavy lifting or muscle strain. Folded Dimensions: 37L X 19W X 53. 5H inches
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE - With a simple twist, you can increase or decrease resistance, so your workout can remain challenging and effective throughout your fitness journey. 8 Resistance levels.Slide Rail Length:48 inches
For older adults, impact type exercises such as running, jumping and highly strenuous workouts may not be optimal, and even cause injuries. Gym equipment that requires standing, such as Elliptical or Treadmills are not everyone’s cup of tea. For that reason, a rowing machine my be your best bet for an all around cardio, strength and flexibility workout. It exercises most of your muscles but with minimal risk if used properly.
On the other hand, they do take up some space at home, and may not be right for a small space. Also, quality varies, and price does matter in terms of durability and quality. So as a possible buyer, please weight these factors in, when you are considering a purchase. If you can afford it, my overall choice would be the Concept 2 Rower. Here is my full review of this rowing machine.
You can see a demonstration I recorded with Fitness Trainer, Eric Anderson here:
Last update on 2019-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API