- 1 Can Ice Packs for Knees Help You?
- 2 How Do Your Knees Feel….Right Now?
- 3 Cold Compression Therapy Systems
- 4 Cold Therapy Systems for Knees
- 5 The Top Cold Knee Compression Wraps
- 5.1 Pain Relief Flexible Ice Pack for Injuries by TheraPAQ
- 5.2 Vive Knee Ice Pack Wrap – Cold/Hot Gel Compression Brace
- 5.3 Polar Ice Large Knee Wrap Cold Therapy Wearable Ice Pack
- 5.4 O2 Cold Therapy Knee Wrap with Ice Pack and Air Compression Wrap
- 5.5 Shock Doctor ICE Pack Recovery Compression Knee Wrap Brace
- 5.6 Cold Therapy Knee Wrap with Compression and Extra Ice Gel Pack
- 6 Conclusion
Can Ice Packs for Knees Help You?
Do you ever have pain in your knee, or swelling or stiffness in one or both of your knees? I know I do. I have had 3 knee injuries over the years, and to be honest, from an athletic point of view have been kind of rough on them.
Now, if you want to know the top knee ice packs to reduce swelling, stiffness and pain right now, check this table to see the ones we recommend for you. However, our top pick is the Polar Ice Large Knee Wrap. You can find more details for it by clicking its button.
|Vive Knee Ice Pack Wrap - Cold/Hot Gel Compression Brace - Heat Support Strap for Arthritis Pain,...||214 Reviews||$24.99||Go to Amazon|
|Polar Ice Large Knee Wrap Cold Therapy Wearable Ice Pack Adjustable Hook and Loop Closure||800 Reviews||$32.99||Go to Amazon|
|O2 Cold Therapy Knee Wrap with Ice Pack and Air Compression Wrap, Universal||438 Reviews||$34.95||Go to Amazon|
|Shock Doctor ICE Pack Recovery Compression Knee Wrap Brace||156 Reviews||from $45.00||Go to Amazon|
|Cold Therapy Knee Wrap with Compression and Extra Ice Gel Pack - Essential Kit for Knee Pain Relief...||70 Reviews||$54.99||Go to Amazon|
And if you want more detail information before that, including quick and easy ways to ice your knee, and learn more about this method to reduce knee pain, just keep reading.
How Do Your Knees Feel….Right Now?
What happens if you put too much impact on your knee from running or jumping? Truth be told, for older athletes, often times there is not much cushioning left, either due to injury and surgery, or to wear and tear. Likewise, there are many other ways you can damage your knee joint. And you want quick relief. So ice packs for knees may give you just what you need. Here is a quick and easy way to do cold knee therapy at home:
Conditions When Cold Therapy May Be Helpful
- Pain after knee replacements
- To reduce swelling in knees
- If you have a knee sprain or strain
- Leg swelling after surgery
- If you want to treat a twisted knee
- Cold therapy for meniscus tear
- Ice therapy for arthritis pain
“Ice treatment works most effectively when used immediately after an injury or surgery (in the first 3-4 days), but can also help reduce pain and inflammation in longer term knee problems. The simplest way to apply cryotherapy treatment is to wrap some ice in a damp cloth e.g.tea towel.”
Cold Compression Therapy Systems
We were talking about that acronym, RICE, rest, ice, compression, elevation. So one question people might ask is, ‘isn’t a bag of ice good enough’. And in fact, in a pinch, taking some ice out of your freezer, wrapping it in cloth (to avoid skin damage due to direct contact with cold) can certainly help.
“Knee pain resulting from common strains and sprains can be treated at home by following a simple plan called RICE, which stands for rest, ice, compression, and elevation.”
You can also get an ice bag, or even take some frozen food out of the freezer, wrap it and use it.
However, what if you can combine two of the treatments, ice (that is cold temperature) as well as compression to your knee? Might that have the positive effect of two treatments at once (actually three, since you are resting your knee while using a cold compression therapy system, or cold compression wrap?
Cold Therapy Systems for Knees
You can do the quick and easy approach to cold therapy as shown here. If you are willing to spend some money to add the compression factor, there are several fine products readily available. So let’s take a look at them.
The system we are using to choose from the thousands of knee cold compression wraps is to use the search engine used by millions, Amazon. If you go to Amazon and type in the ‘All Departments’ Box, “Cold therapy wrap”, guess how many choices come up…..10?….100?….1000?….nope…it is 4000 at least. There are 48 just on the first page! Crazy! So how do you decide what’s best for you?
The Top Cold Knee Compression Wraps
Millions of people are looking for, buying and then leaving feedback on their Amazon purchase. So what we do, is sort through all that, find the best sellers, with the best ratings, the most reviews and see what each product has. That way we can determine if a product will meet your needs. So let’s dive in.
Bear in mind that these are based on March, 2019 figures and are subject to change.
Pain Relief Flexible Ice Pack for Injuries by TheraPAQ
- ESSENTIAL - Reuseable Hot & Cold Gel Pack with adjustable extra long belt for all body parts. A first aid essential for home, ideal for sports injuries, swelling, muscle pains, post surgery, body aches, recovery after knee replacement, arthritis treatment, joint pain relief and more!
- REUSABLE - Can be used for BOTH warm and cold compression. The gel pack is reuseable and can be freezable while still remaining soft or heated in the microwave. Serves as an ice pack or heating pad. Perfect for any body part: Knee, Arm, Thigh, Leg, Foot, Lumbar, Cervical, Upper and Lower Back, Shoulder, Rotator Cuff, Neck, Calves, Shins, Hips and more
- FAST RELIEF, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE - Keep one handy in your fridge for a first aid icing emergency or your everyday comfort from pain. Just strap on and get the soothing relief from hot or cold therapy right away. Delivers up to 30 minutes of soothing cooling or heat relief for aches and pains
- TRUSTED - Recommended by Physical Therapists, Doctors, Sports Trainers and Chiropractors. TheraPAQ has a non-toxic gel contained in a leak-proof blue plastic pac with elastic hook-and-loop straps (gel pack size: 14" x 6")
- ORDER NOW WITH PEACE OF MIND knowing that we have a 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO CATCHES! We stand above and beyond for our customers. If you're not thrilled with your purchase for any reason, just tell us and we'll refund 100% of your purchase price - anytime! IDEAL GIFT for Black Friday Deals, Cyber Monday, Prime Deal Day, Easter or Christmas
Far and away, with over 2300 sales per month, is this product by TheraPAQ. It is a gel pack, and can be used for either hot or cold, you just have to heat or chill it depending on your need. It has straps that can fit just about any joint or area of your body. This is a well established product with over 1600 reviews and a respectable 4.2 star rating. Generally, a rating with at least 4 stars is advisable, so this falls within the range.
It’s good to see what customers say who give it bad reviews. Sometimes they are just being mean or they use the product incorrectly and blame the product. This product had a few bad reviews, generally speaking of defects. One customer complained about putting it in the microwave to heat it and it started bubbling…..My advice: Don’t blame the knee wrap… just don’t leave it in the microwave on so long. Another said that some of the pouches started to leak gel not too long after they got it.
However, these bad reviews which comprise 6% of feedback while 67% were 5 star reviews. And given the number of reviews and daily sales, it’s safe to say, that if you need an ice pack (or a heat pack) you can’t go wrong. It also has a one year guarantee.
Vive Knee Ice Pack Wrap – Cold/Hot Gel Compression Brace
- SOOTHING KNEE PAIN RELIEF: Targeting both the front and back of the knee with adjustable compression and hot or cold therapy, the Vive cold knee brace effectively reduces swelling, pain and inflammation due to muscle fatigue, injury or surgery. The soft knee brace also provides comfortable relief for sprains and strains, ACL, arthritis, sports injuries, surgery and more.
- HOT OR COLD THERAPY: Includes three removable Arctic Flex gel packs for hot or cold therapy. Each pack easily slips into one of three pockets. Two pockets are located on the front of the knee brace and one behind the knee for targeted relief. The nontoxic gel packs are reusable, leakproof and latex-free.
- FLEXIBLE FIT: Secured with a strong fastener system with four adjustable straps, the versatile knee brace fits knee circumferences up to 21". Suitable for both men and women, the soft brace can be worn on the left or right knee.
- BREATHABLE NEOPRENE BLEND: Machine washable for added convenience, the knee wrap is made from a lightweight neoprene blend. Latex-free, the blend is soft and breathable for exceptional comfort.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day unconditional guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
Coming up next in terms of popularity (monthly sales) is this brace, which operates similarly to the TheraPAQ mentioned above. It sells almost as many, and has similar characteristics.
It uses gel and has straps to wrap around the joint. It has a higher Star Rating, 4.8, which is excellent. However, this appears to be a newer product because it only has 79 reviews. Usually, it’s a good idea to stick with products that have at least 200 reviews. However, because of its very high rating and apparent popularity, it is a safe bet to get this Ice Pack Wrap.
It has almost all 5 star reviews with only a couple of 1 star reviews. One of those said it had a defect. However, there are far more 5 star reviews. In addition, you get a 60 day money back guarantee. That is not as good as the one year guarantee for the TheraPAQ, though.
Polar Ice Large Knee Wrap Cold Therapy Wearable Ice Pack
- Polar Ice products provide cold therapy for post-surgical rehabilitation and other injuries.
- Hands free long lasting cold therapy
- Soft. lightweight fleece covering to protect skin
- Wearable ice pack
- Removable, waffled ice pack for faster freeze time
Shown here is the large size Polar Ice Knee Wrap; there is an additional smaller size but the product is the same except for size. As the name suggests, this is not as versatile as the TheraPAQ. It has fewer sales, about 625 per month, which is still quite respectable. It also has 775 reviews and a 4.5 star rating. That is a good indication that the product has been around for awhile and people like it. What’s more, 75% of reviewers give it a 5 Star rating vs. only 3% with a 1 Star Rating.
The Polar Ice Knee Wrap does not use gel but instead, purified water, inside the ice pack which has a fleece cover, to prevent frostbite. You can also wear it during activities. It is suitable for both post surgery recovery, as well as sprains, strains and other types of injuries. While the ice packs are solid ice, unlike gels which remain flexible, the wrap is designed to go all the way around the knee, and covers a large area around the whole knee.
While the product is well received, has solid reviews, no mention is made of a guarantee. However, the very high percentage of 5 star reviews is a good indication that returns are very few.
O2 Cold Therapy Knee Wrap with Ice Pack and Air Compression Wrap
- O2 completes your therapy! If your Doctor wants you to do RICE Therapy (Rest Ice Compression Elevation), then we can help with the Ice and Compression! Great for Arthritis and Post Surgery
- O2 quickens your recovery! By adding Air Compression to the cold, your recovery time is shortened according medical studies.
- O2 is target designed! By designing for individual body parts, you get targeted pain relief for the area you need it most.
- O2 is durable and reusable! The industrial design satisfies physical therapists for multiple uses per day. High quality materials, re-freezable cold packs with liners, and high end valves will ensure a long life to your needed therapy.
Coming in next with about 380 sales per month is the O2 Cold therapy knee wrap with ice and air compression. This knee wrap has over 430 reviews, and a 4.6 star rating, which is excellent. Even better, 77% of the reviews are 5 Star and only 2% are 1 star. Lots of happy customers here. What makes this product unlike the other knee wraps in this review is the addition of air compression.
This wrap is primarily meant for knees, but you can use it on other body parts. It makes use of gel pockets that you put into the freezer and then insert into wrap.
But what makes this unique is the use of an air pump in addition to the ice. So when you strap it on, pump up the air into the wrap. The description specifically cites the RICE formula and the emphasis on both ice as well as compression, aided by the air compression component.
With its very high review ratings, this product could be just what you are looking for if you have one of the condtions where cold compression is recommended.
Shock Doctor ICE Pack Recovery Compression Knee Wrap Brace
- Anatomically designed with adjustable straps and multiple gel ice packs, this is the most complete icing solution for knee bruises, strains, sprains, and tendonitis.
- The penetrating therapy helps reduce swelling and pain with gentle compression and deep 360 degree ICE or HEAT coverage
- Includes 3 (S/M) or 4 (L/XL) removable and reusable gel packs to fully surround the knee
- Adjustable straps with Z-Grip closures for customized fit and compression
- Easy access Lycra gel pack pockets for convenient and comfortable use
Shock Doctor is a well respected brand in the knee wrap and knee brace marketplace. It has a number of products that can be useful, depending on the severity of the condition of the knee. This product has multiple gel pack which are removeable, and can be used for either hot or cold therapy. It uses straps to hold it in place and provide compression.
As regards sales, reviews and ratings, it has about 260 sales per month and about 160 reviews. Because this product is more specialized for knees, it has fewer reviews than the products that can be used for other parts of the body, such as the TheraPAQ.
However, even though it does not have a lot of reviews, under 200, 75% are 5 Star and only 2% are one star. That, plus the reputation of the Shock Doctor brand make it worth your consideration.
Cold Therapy Knee Wrap with Compression and Extra Ice Gel Pack
- REDUCES SWELLING & INFLAMMATION - The combination of cold therapy and compression provides quicker pain relief and reduces swelling and inflammation. The gel packs and wrap were designed specifically for the knee area for a more focused treatment. (Refer to sizing chart to ensure this wrap will fit you properly.)
- PROVIDES BETTER COVERAGE - The added compression ensures proper contact of the ice gel pack with the injured knee for better coverage and deeper cold penetration, compared to just using ice packs on their own. Use the air pump to add the desired compression and to ensure a snug fit, for better coverage and deeper cold penetration.
- RELIEVES KNEE PAIN QUICKLY - Provides relief for knee pain caused by Arthritis, Runner's Knee, tendinitis, bursitis, meniscus / ligament issues and more. For optimal results, leave ice gel packs in freezer until needed. (2 hours minimum.)
- BONUS ICE PACK INCLUDED - Comes with an extra ice pack so you don't have to wait in between icing treatments. Allows for longer knee therapy treatment times, if recommended by your doctor. The ice gel packs are re-usable, leak-proof and contain non-toxic gel.
This is a newer product, as indicated by its having only 62 reviews, and about 185 sales per month. What makes this knee wrap different, is that it has both air compression as well as an extra gel pack. That way, you can chill one while wearing the other. On the other hand, keeping your knee cold continuously for long periods of time may not be the best approach. Still, having an extra gel pack is useful.
As with other knee wraps, it claims to stop pain quickly and you can use it for the usual range of symptoms, from sprains and strains, to arthritis, runner’s knee meniscus, surgery and knee replacement. Its main advantage is the extra gel pack, which is removable, an air compression pump and versatility for all kinds of knee issues. It also has a 100% money back guarantee.
Just today, I was having lunch with a couple of guys and we were talking about joint pain. Both of them have used drugs like Ibuprofen, or Celebrex, both of which are NSAID’s or Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs. One friend said he’s had some serious pain and found that it worked well. My other friend told me he took Ibuprofen and his blood pressure spiked to 180/100! Point being, these drugs can work but there is a dangerous serious side effects, especially if you use them regularly.
Study links Celebrex, heart valve calcification after earlier research declared drug safe via Study links Celebrex, heart valve calcification after earlier research declared drug safe
That’s why non drug approaches to joint pain may be just as effective, safer, and in the long run cheaper than constantly having to go out and buy more medicines. Give this some thought. Better yet, you can click on this link or one of the links of products discussed here and check them out for more detailed study.
As you can see, out of over 4000 products sold on Amazon, these are ones that are considered by people just like you to be their top choice. So I hope this review will save you a lot of time and energy. Good Luck, and take good care of your knees!
Last update on 2019-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API